Getting rid of world coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by BoneDust, Oct 16, 2013.

1. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

I've got a nice bag full of world coins that I would like to get rid of. I haven't checked the bag to see what I have and I wouldn't even know where to begin. I was thinking of just putting them on ebay and selling the whole package but what if I have something valuable?

Is there anywhere online I can look for prices on world coins or is it even worth it? I don't know anything about them only U.S. coins. If I did sell these on ebay how should I list it? Should I ship to the country the coin was made in or would it just be cheaper to and easier to sell them in the U.S. and get rid all at once? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I've picked up some great buys at local auctions, bidding on tupperware full of foreign coins. I don't know about how many you have, or their age, but both matter when deciding when/if to sell them. It should be fairly straightforward to separate the silver from CuNi and Cu, and then start to organize by timeframe and region.
    All depends on what kind of stuff you've got! Pre 1940, and you're usually in good shape. There are of course, exceptions (as always).

4. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

Yeah "ll have to sort thru them. Most are pre-40s. I also have alot of Canadian coins. Is there a big market for for collecting in Canada?

5. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

After I pick out the silver, I sell them by the pound, to my local coin shop - who has a giant tub for kids and people to rummage through. I get a Canadian silver maple leaf for every 5 lbs bag.

Inquisitive likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Time is money. I would suggest going to the library and getting a KM catalog if you wished to look them up. Anything not worth a few dollars individually I would personally just sell as a lot. But, if there is a lot of pre-40, take good pics and let people know its not a typical world coin lot of 1960s-1990 material.

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

8. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

Cool. I'll do that. Thanks for the info and link.

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Some people seem to do pretty well selling lots of 10-15 coins or so with good pictures, assuming the coins are decent. From the auctions like this I've bid on, they seem to achieve close to their value. If you did something like that you wouldn't have to worry about looking them up. Just let the market set the value for you.

10. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Absolutely!! Sort out the Canadian stuff and I'll gladly pay the shipping costs to repatriate it back to Canada...

11. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

i collect world coins and like any i can get. there are around 10 countries i dont have anything from and am looking for too. spp ottawa, i have a small bag i could send you. i have a few loonies and a lot of dimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted