Getting rid of the green damage on copper coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Taxidermist, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

@Thad - I guess my 1st attempt proves that certain types of damage & "rot" are beyond the scope of Verdi-Care. The next couple I practice on will be a circulated RB Wheat with verdigris & an AU Wheat with finger prints and carbon spots. I think these might better juxtapose each other regarding the intended purpose of your Verdi-Care product (and provide me with fun practicing).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Please try and keep lighting and color and exposure constant when doing "before" and "after" experiments like this. It helps those of us at home better understand what's going on. Thanks...Mike

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Please take the time to read the FAQ. VC will not remove fingerprints or carbon spots. It's not designed for that. It's only made to remove light surface residue and verdigris.

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/files/images/Verdi-Care-FAQ.pdf

5. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I did read the FAQ and the instructions. The reason I am intentionally including a finger printed & carbon spotted coin is to provide an example of what Verdi-Care will not work on, sort of like my 1st 2 examples. (juxtaposition was intended to convey the message "inappropriate coin candidate" vs "appropriate coin candidate" respectively). Who knows, maybe I'll find a proof coin to try it on LOL.
    Stay Tuned :)

6. BadThad

LOL....OK, I understand. I just wanted to make sure you understood what the product is designed for. HAVE FUN and thanks for the testing.

7. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Is there anything you could use on a proof? I have one with spots and don't know what to do on thus 1939 quarter.

8. BadThad

Only use simple, high-grade solvents on proofs such as acetone, distilled water, and xylene. If those don't work for you, leave the coin alone as using anything stronger will most likely destroy the coin.

9. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Lighting & Exposure

Hey Mike - I tried to do what you requested in this IHC experiment, but my webcam has a mind or eye of its own.

Attached Files:

10. BadThad

That's more like it! Better job with the lighting too. Try soaking that IHC for 24 hours and then use a toothpick on it while it's under fluid. You might get more of that off.

I saw the 1921 you posted in this thread. It looks like a good coin to conserve. Just a small spot of verdigris on the obverse.

http://www.cointalk.com/t121897-2/#post963385

11. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Thanks Thad I will try since I have read some, but can you direct me to the proper process for this? I would like to use a proven/safe method.

12. BadThad

Simple, just soak for about a hour in each solvent in order:

1) distilled water
    2) acetone
    3) xylene

13. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Will try to get to this when I can but work has me extremely busy. Will post before and after if I can find the battery charger for my camera!

14. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Before & After on silver

I found this dime while sweeping up today and decided to run the Verdi test on it.
    These are the before and after photos. Bare in mind the coin has not had a chance to dry for 24 hours yet.

Attached Files:

15. BadThad

Definate improvment!

Thanks for sharing.

16. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Hey BadThad,

I notice in the FAQ that one of the compounds bonds to the surface to protect the coin. Does this mean that it might form a barrier that inhibits further treatment with this or other chemicals?

17. BadThad

No, if neeed, you can use VC again on the same coin. Other chemicals or solvents will have little to no effect on the ReAcT2™ layer unless they are stongly acidic.

18. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

BadThad
    Even acetone will not work? If not, does this mean the coin could never be gradeable by a professional grading company and the ReAcT2™ will always be detectable?

19. BadThad

The ReAcT2™ layer is only a molecule thick and undetectable, even with the most sophisticated instrumentation.

20. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

I might give it a go. My boss has plenty of worthless coppers with BD that I can experiment on. I'm already practicing with some other stuff at the moment. In one sense, I'm going to be quite disappointed if this stuff works. I've just ordered a load of chemicals and apparatus which, apart from being expensive enough to take my boss to the verge of going ape, has probably attracted enough attention from the bobbies and MI5 for them to consider sending the party van over to my house and bundle me off to Gitmo....

21. RAJA

RAJA Member

posted here are some pics ( copper coins from british india )...are these green coloring present in these coins patina or verdigri...?

i have kept them in airtight holders away from the contact with air..

will this coin be damaged?..... or its just a natural patina or green deposits which is safe

plz advice and comment

thanks

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted