Getting rid of the green damage on copper coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Taxidermist, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

First of all, i know that coins should not be cleaned. Heard it numerous times, including in this forum, so i do not advise cleaning coins to anyone and i fully realize what am i doing.

I got a couple of coins i`d like to add permanently to my collection, without intention to sell/slab them, they are not valuable anyhow:

Untitled-1.jpg

I`d like to have them looking better than this, surely without the green damage, especially if there are ways to remove it. Could someone tell what is the origin/nature of this green stratum, and what is the best way to get rid of it? Alcohol, acetone, lemon, water+soap, cola or?
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Thad has said that his new product Verdi-Care is now preferred rather than the Verdigone.
    http://www.coinlink.com/News/press-releases/wizard-coin-supply-chosen-by-verdi-chem%E2%84%A2-as-exclusive-distributor/

All three coins look like verdigris corrosion, and any conservation by the product does not repair any damage beneath the current visible surface. If the green surface appears flat, most likely it will look the best after use, such as the second coin. When it is heavier, such as the third coin, I suspect some will remain in the deeper pits. The First coin would be a "miracle " if most was removed, and the surface is almost a given that damage will be revealed.

Jim

4. Taxidermist

Thanks for the info, will post before/after images when i`m done (in about a week).

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Keep in mind - the Verdi-Care product can only do so much. When the verdigris is quite heavy, not all of it is going to be removed even with repeated use. The inventor and maker of the product will tell you this himself. In fact he does on his web site.

6. Taxidermist

GDJMSP: Yeah, i read about the product, i am not going for it.

I`ve been looking into online resources for quite some time, looking for *safe* ways to improve coins looks in some cases.

Since i got certain experience with chemical metal cleaning substances, i`ll try a couple of things and post results soon.

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

You have from light to heavy verdigris. VERDI-CARE™ is designed to remove light to moderate verdigris without destorying the patina. In general, you do not want to remove heavy verdigris as the damage is already done. Additionally, you'll have to use strong acid to remove heavy verdigris which will result in a horrible looking, obviously harshly cleaned coin.

8. BadThad

Thanks Doug, exactly correct.

9. BadThad

VERDI-CARE™ is the only safe way to remove verdigris, period, end of story.

10. Taxidermist

VERDI-CARE™ shows not very impressive results according to photos on coincommunity.com. Not because it is not doing what it supposed to, its just i`m looking for something else.

I think i can get better results without leaving cleaning marks on coins surface. Problem is, some tarnishing is going to start and will be visible after about a year, but i think i`ll manage to do this properly, so the tarnishing will be very weak.

Coins are not that valuable and pretty beat up already, so i really cant see what am i losing here.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is another product called Biox, and it works. But the coin will be the worse for it and it shows.

What Thad is telling you is 100% correct. You can try anything you want. But the experience will show you that you should not have.

12. BadThad

Better eh? OK, I'm looking forward to your before and after photos. :rolleyes:

13. desertgem

I am very sure there are chemicals that will remove verdigris more actively, but I doubt you will find one that doesn't change the color/appearance of the surface unfavorably in doing so. Using the Verdi-care product shouldn't leave cleaning marks on the coin, nor change the color/appearance if directions are followed. I understand the need for experimentation. There are plenty of test coins which show up in pocket change regularly to use rather than the coins you show, IMO. Goodluck.

14. aimzb

aimzb New Member

I am sure I will at the very least get a lecture about this (if not flat out shot by someone :D ), but CLR works miracles for getting rid of corrosion and verdigris. (if you are going to be keeping the coins anyway and just want them cleaned off)

15. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I just bought some from Wizard, but couldn't find anywhere on their site what size bottle it is. What size is it? Thanks

16. desertgem

I am sure it would as it is sulfarmic acid, citric acid, and detergent. Sulfarmic acid is a strong acid and will remove corrosion and scale, as well as the metal of the coin and any natural patina beneath the corrosion. The resulting color will be bright and unnatural and would take decades if ever to retone. But if the only intent is to remove the corrosion, it would do that. Highly diluted it might even be useful as a silver dip.
    Jim

17. aimzb

aimzb New Member

I've gotten a couple half dollars in rolls that were so corroded that I could not even tell what they were, worked great on those. I've also used it diluted (15:1) on my tools. I'll never us it on coins unless it is like what I mentioned (or the first pic from the OP).

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Call me crazy....

Instead of doctoring those coins, why not simply sell them and get ones that you're happy with?

19. BadThad

2 oz....enough for a LOT of coins. I estimate over 100 coins.

20. BadThad

Indeed. However, once used on a coin, it's a goner and all numismatic value is essentially removed.

21. Taxidermist

Call me crazy, but in this particular case, with these particular coins, i want them to show details, look almost new and shiny, instead of be covered with filth, rust, verdigris and whatnot. As i mentioned already, numismatic value is not an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted