Getting more depth of field in coin photos?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I am a total newbie to photography and I sure this is a common question, but how does one photograph a high relief coin and get the whole thing to be in focus? I have a few high relief coins that I can't seem to get a decent shot of.

I have a Sony camera that takes e-mount lenses. I have a 15-50 zoom lens. I have a 10mm and 16 mm extender rings. Is there more depth of field with a 10, 16 or 26 mm extender combination?

Do I need to buy a real macro lens?

Thanks for your help!

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Here is an example of what I mean. Look at the right side of Dionysus face and it is out of focus.

Thasos.png

stevex6, Bing and chrsmat71 like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

there's a process called "focus stacking"...that i have no idea how to do...but folks here do. you'll hear for them shortly probably, but git it a google.

5. Theodosius

I have looked at that...looks technical.

:)

I think with what I have using the 10mm extender gives the least magnification but most depth of field, but I could be all wet...

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The answer is more light. Or use aperture priority setting and set the aperture down to F16 or less, as the larger the aperture, the smaller the depth of focus, something photographers use deliberately to throw backgrounds out of focus to feature the foreground object.
    Your extension tubes reduce the effective aperture by one stop per enlargement, 2x extender stops down 2 f. stops reducing light through the lens and causing an automatic camera to open up the aperture to compensate.

You do not really want this, which is why I suggest finding the aperture priority setting and using that. This will mean slower shutter speeds so a tripod (you should be using one anyway) is really essential.

-jeffB and beef1020 like this.
  7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I take all my photos with a macro lens at F8 on a tripod with a hands free release (either timed or remote). I have a fixed light setup.

8. Theodosius

I am using a tripod and have a ring LED light plus additional lights. I will play with the aperture priority and see what I can do. I never understood f numbers. Is it the larger the f number the smaller the opening for light to get in? Is that why f16 is better?

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Yes. You trade Aperture size (the higher F numbers giving you more depth of field) for shutter speed (slower speeds as the aperture size decreases) to get the correct amount of light in.

10. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Focus stacking is not complicated. @dougsmit can tell you a lot more about it.

11. Theodosius

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

12. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

@Theodosius if you google combinezp it is a free download. There are also youtube videos you can watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted