Getting creases out of paper money

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bugo, Jun 14, 2013.

1. BigTomato

BigTomato New Member

Maybe so! I've been called crazy before. However...a pressed note doesn't remove wrinkles or folds..a grader or dealer can spot the work in seconds!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

I doubt that very much. First off a note or any paper in a heavy book will ease the creases. Ironing does not remove the creases but eases them. When you have a note that has folds that do not want to go back to their original place ironing works well. This makes the note more desirable.

4. BigTomato

BigTomato New Member

5. BaconPickles

BaconPickles New Member

The $10 note in question is only worth ten dollars. In 100 years it will most likely still be worth close to face value. Do whatever you want to it and have fun. If a note with significant value has original hammered embossing, wetting and/or pressing the note will remove this natural feature that is so coveted in the paper money hobby.

6. edteach

I iron confederate notes no embossing. No way to know it was ever pressed or ironed.

7. Earl Clark

Earl Clark New Member

Whether coin or paper currency, cleaning or pressing to enhance value is lying and thievery. I've been stalking these boards for many years and am amazed at the number of "Collectors" that apparently condone these procedures.

8. edteach

No its not lying or thievery. Pressing a note to take out bends and calling it lying is delusional. I have a nice Confederate 1863 note coming in that is a CC. Part of the CC is bent back making it look like a hole. I got it cheap because of that. But I noticed all the paper was there attached but bent back. I will carefully bend it back and put a bit of heat on it with an iron and and make it look great again. Its not a repair, its not lying its just flattening. I can sleep just fine.

9. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

One thing people are not mentioning is our currency is not paper, it is a combination of cotton and linen. There are germaphobes out there who wash their everyday currency to clean them, not improve them as collectors.

I just read an article that said the countries using polymer currency are doing it to make their bills last longer, but they are also making them, unknowingly, more germ resistant. Our cotton/linen currency, when analyzed has things on them that are really bad, from drugs to e-coli. Another plus for Debit/Charge Cards.

I have a really nice $500 bill that has a partial bank tellers stamp on it. Anybody have a suggestion for removing it? I would practice on no value notes. On the other hand, maybe I should just leave the $500 alone.

10. Earl Clark

Earl Clark New Member

I'm glad your sleeping well, but that isn't my primary concern Ed.

To misrepresent one's self by passing on coin or currency that has been manipulated giving a false impression of its value is unethical in my eyes. There are far to many businesses with an ethos of "Let the buyer beware."

11. TheMont

Can I assume then, that hold the same views for TPGS that offer conservation services?

Insider, Earl Clark and midas1 like this.
  12. edteach

Mont. on a 1 dollar bill try some light bleach and water solution. I have gotton out some browning on notes that way. don't use full bleach. Could damage the note. Test it on a 1 dollar bill.

13. edteach

Bla bla bla. your opinion and 4 dollars will get you a latte at starbucks. I have notes in my collection I pressed and it bothers me not. I would sell them and not think twice about it. If you don't want to do it then don't.

14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I've accidentally left bills in my pocket as they were going through the wash and they came out crispy fresh!

midas1 likes this.
  15. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Ah yes, the disappearing teller stamp. I know it well.

Now you see it.....
    [​IMG]

Now you don't....
    [​IMG]

I do not recommend this at all, ever. The entire note suffers and you know that it was done.

slackaction1 likes this.
  16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can remove that stamp without leaving a huge discoloration.
    I would leave it.
    Steve in Tampa your bill would look OK (in a photo) if I hadn't seen the original color. And I am sure experts can tell it was "bleached" or whatever.

17. TheMont

Not bad Stephen same notes from your January 15, 2013 post.

18. The Oddsbreaker

The Oddsbreaker New Member

For what it's worth I've taken a bill ran it under gentle luke warm water for a few seconds then put between multiple layers of paper towels to pat dry, then put it in between the pages of a big thick book and let it be for a week or two,check back, see the improvement and then get it into a protective case and be happy.

19. edteach

I have never used water. I was afraid that it would damage the paper. I have used a bit of turpentine to remove a sticker that was put on black eagle dollar bill. I also used a bit of bleach in water and Qtip to get out a pen mark. Worked well. No one would ever be able to tell. I know some think they could but they could not.

20. CoinG1901

CoinG1901 Member

I personally just put it carefully into the binding of a hard cover book and place it on the shelf between other books for a few days. That flattens it nicely. It does not permanently get rid of folds, but it looks a little better.

21. TheMont

$500 Bill 1934A Obv..jpg This is the $500 note that has the tellers stamp on it. It is to the left of the portrait. It looks like the note was in a bundle with a wrapper around it and the teller stamped the wrapper and part of the stamp extended onto the bill:

Michael K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted