Getting boxes of coins from the banks.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by tommyc03, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I don't want coins from the mint (2015 brand new ones), I want circulated coins.

bruthajoe likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. So here's my next dumb question,lol--so when you buy a box of coins from a bank how do you know there will be any earlier than lets say 1982?

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Open the box, look at the tops.... I am only receiving about 10-15% copper cents when searching. 10 Wheat backs per box on average as well.

5. gamebird98

gamebird98 Active Member

love this thread...good info here

6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I've got about the same % of copper vs zinc here. Found a good use for zinc if its too far gone to circulate (I'm sure you have seen them, corroded to the point that its hard to tell what it is!). Melt them down into fishing weights!

bruthajoe and bhh like this.
  7. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

Went to the bank today the teller tells me she has a roll of SBA dollars and they were all 79p and 79d. There was also a 79s type1 too.was this a good find?. I don't hear much talk about these coins.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Richard gladfelter

After looking again I missed a type 1 so that's 2 in the same roll.:happy:

9. steve63

steve63 Active Member

You don't know. Any rolls from a box are going to be either 1) all brand new uncirculated coins from current year, or 2) a random assortment of circulated coins with some uncirculated new coins possibly mixed in. So you don't really know what you're getting until you open a roll although if you can see both end coins are shiny and new there's a good chance it's #1. For circulated rolls (#2) I don't think I've ever opened a roll that doesn't have at least a few pre-1982 coins in it. I'm not sure if that's common in all parts of the US, I've heard there are some areas of the country where a lot of the copper gets pulled before it goes back to the banks, but that doesn't seem to be the case where I live. I find that almost any circulated cent roll I open has at least 10-20% pre-1982 coppers in it.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Early in the year (Feb March) you have a chance at getting all brand new coins. At other times of the year it's usually mixed.
    No premium on the Type 1 1979 SBA blob S. However, there is a variety on the
    1979-P which is good. You want the one that is closest to the rim of the coin. Wide rim, near date.
    1979-narrow-rim-vs-wide-rim-susan-b-anthony-dollar.jpg

11. Richard gladfelter

I'm from the east coast and the copper ratio is at least 30% copper sometimes more. But the last 3 boxes have yielded less wheaties.

12. Richard gladfelter

Thanks,for the info on the 79s. Happy hunting.

Michael K likes this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Someone here on the east coast is in for some wheat's. I just bank dumped about ten rolls of uglies yesterday.

14. Richard gladfelter

We'll if I run into abunch I'll think,
    " Tommys wheats" lol

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. Richard gladfelter

We're there any early teens or 20s at all,I need to fill holes.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Actually there were a few teens and 20's in them. But they were all beyond anything I wanted to pursue due to quality issues. Filthy, banged up, scratched, etc.

17. Richard gladfelter

I found a 1919 that was WOW but the data was there and some profile so of course it went in the book:facepalm:

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. coin_noub1224

coin_noub1224 New Member

I am new to coin collecting and I have been going to my nearest bank to get coins and I am wondering how do you get the banks to order the coins and are there any that will not order them

19. CapnMike

CapnMike Active Member

Man, coinstar charges 10 percent here, I can't do it. My credit union has a machine that's free if you have an account

20. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

If someone asks me to order box quantity of coin for them, I extract a promise from them that they will not bring it back to dump the rejects in our machine. The minute they break that promise, is the minute they kiss their coin ordering privileges goodbye. I will not order for known dumpers. Every box that comes in costs the bank money, as does every bag that goes out. Not to mention servicing the full coin bags is back breaking work, and storage space is limited.

21. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I have scene these bags of coins at one of the banks I go to and was wondering if they sell these bags or if it is usually a policy that they must turn them back in to brinks of whomever

Draft saved Draft deleted