Getting boxes of coins from the banks.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by tommyc03, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

1) Cents, Nickels, and Dimes; some will also do Quarters and Half Dollars; supposedly, the rare bank will order dollars (small or large) but I've never found one to do that.
    2) Not sure what you mean. Some boxes of $0.01/$0.05/$0.10 can be mostly or all brand new.
    3a) Cents: $25 worth of $0.50 rolls
    Nickels: $100 worth of $2 rolls
    Dimes: $250 worth of $5 rolls
    Quarters: I forget; never do these
    Halves: $500 worth of $10 rolls
    3b) SBA = Susan B. Anthony dollar coins
    4) Better than others for what? Errors? Varieties? Silver?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.

3. So a couple more questions. Regarding #3--are these mostly newer(dated) coins? Are they in rolls by specific dates--or random dates?
    In regards to question #4--if you wanted to hopefully get older coins--are there specific type you have a better change of getting older coins? Thanks for the information I really appreciate it

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Banks have all the coins there is, you have to ask if they are circulated, or from the mint. Boxes of pennys are $25, and dimes are $250. SBA...Susan B Anthony dollars. Depends on what you collect, if you search for silver...better off getting dimes and quarters...rare to find halfs anymore these days.

5. Dougmeister

They are not in rolls by specific dates; they are random. They only exception would be if you got a box with most/all of the current year's coins.

Cents are the easiest to get older coins, IMHO. Most people get at least a few Wheat pennies per box, I think. Nickels come next. You'll see very few older dimes, quarters, and halves.

6. Ok so based on your reply--if all you get for $25 of pennies is mostly new ones with few older wheats--why go through the trouble? Wouldn't you just be better off buying the wheats you want? Same for quarters--to buy all those quarters and basically end up with a ton of new ones--not even 90%--I don't get it--they don't sell for anything worthwhile. Am I missing something?

7. Pere

Pere Active Member

It's a question of how you view the time spent, and where you get your enjoyment of coins. If having an old coin is all you're interested in, yes, you're probably better off making a quick stop at a coin shop; searching coin rolls pays really poorly, in hourly terms. But some people enjoy it, the looking and the finding. The time spent in pursuit of the hobby is not a cost to be measured against the return.

8. Dougmeister

@Roger Sosnowski , you're not missing anything. It's the thrill of the hunt for me, and based on statistics, probably most of the people who CRH.

I like metal detecting for the same reason. It "feels" like I'm getting something for free, even though I realize I am spending an inordinate amount of time and money doing it ;-)

9. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I roll hunt from bank...got a 1916s, 1909, a grease filled die, 1983 DDO and about 150 wheets, 15 dimes (ill take em) last week. Too cold to do anything else :) ...that was a record $200 pennys...my eyes hurt...

10. So were these circulated pennies? And there was a 1916s mixed in with a 1983 DDo? I guess I didn't realize there was such a wide range in the bunch. And I guess I'm as guilty as the rest. Over Christmas I bought $69 of unsearched wheat pennies--basically 5lbs of them and did the same thing. Ended up with a lot of circulated wheats--nothing real earth shattering as far as dates--but it was kind of fun,lol.

11. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

It's a treasure hunt!

12. Seeking 10K FV

Seeking 10K FV New Member

SBA=Susan B Anthony $ coins

13. Seeking 10K FV

14. Seeking 10K FV

Yes! Everytime I open up a new account I make a point to tell the "banker" that I will not bring any of my halves back.
    I also do my hw as to which company the order the boxes, ie Brinks, Loomis, Garda. I make sure to dump at a bank that does not supply my boxes.
    Recently my flat box bank started using Loomis. No more reserve boxes with Walkers, Franklins, 64 Kennedys. Seems only 40%ers that aren't pulled. Now it's my dump bank!
    Garda lots of silver.
    Yes, I buy lunch for the staff & bottles of wine for Christmas. It's worth them putting 10 boxes a week in my trunk! Plus they pull coins for me!

Amos 811 and tommyc03 like this.
  15. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I just bought coffee and doughnuts for my bank :p

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. EllenMWJ

EllenMWJ New Member

So glad I came across this! I've just started thinking about buying boxes and never thought about what I was going to do or the manners involved. I've noticed that when I just bring in a bank bag full of coins they seem aggravated. Seem aggravated when I want to buy twenty or thirty dollars of assorted rolls. It's not like I'm doing it every week, more like every three to six weeks.

I always feels shy and embarrassed when I ask for or bring back coin rolls, because they seem so annoyed. These are different banks. When you say buy what have they have in their drawer, do you mean you clean them out of whatever they have in there. I've ALWAYS wanted to do that but thought it would be rude.

And when you say they will pull coins for you, what do you mean?

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Susan B Anthony $'s.

Also known as "The ugliest coin in history."

18. rg49

rg49 New Member

Finding a 1914-D penny last week made it all worthwhile.

Dougmeister likes this.
  19. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I find that giving your banking team donuts from time to time always helps to grease the wheels.

20. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is the same in other parts of the country.. The banks often have boxes of Pennies (cents), Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters on a regular basis.
    Cents = 25$ box or 50 rolls in a box
    Nickels = 100$ box or 50 rolls
    Dimes = 250$ box or 50 rolls
    Quarters = 500$ box or 50 rolls

As for Half Dollars, often you will need to ask to order a box, which is 500 dollars I believe, or ask if they have any halves. Even if someone has picked out all the silver, there are some Doubled Dies that most don't seem to bother to look for that are out there.

Dollar coins are the red headed step child of coinage for your bank tellers, so there is a good chance that you will be able to get as many as they have if you choose to look at dollars. Many times they will have older coins such as the Susan B. Anthony or Ike dollars that they will gladly sell you at face. The Ike dollars will not go through the coinstar or the banks counters, so will often end up in the tellers coin trays. Take them off their hands every time you see them!

Feel free to ask questions if you have any more

It really depends on what you are looking for really as to what coins to look at. If silver is what you are after, Halves are the way to go, even though you can find silver in everything but penny boxes if you look hard enough. If you are looking for varieties, Pennies are the place to look. If it is to fill albums, all are fair game, with the oldest regularly circulating coins to be found in the pennies and nickels.

Good Luck

21. I asked my bank if they had any coins from the mint--they said no. Maybe I goofed up by saying that. I just assumed that when banks get rolls of coins that's where they come from. No?
    lol--I told you I was new to this,lol

Draft saved Draft deleted