Getting a coin graded

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1stSgt22, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Could not have said it any better than Trotter, he gave you the best information. Good luck

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Yes, I meant the Lincon Cent. I actually bought both of them from my Local Shop here in California which is extremely large and very reputable. So, unless they intentionally sold me something faked (which I have never had a concern of in the past) or they were fooled themselves (which would truly surprise me with the experience they have) I believe they are genuine.

But thanks!

4. Histman

Regarding the video - there are actually several already posted on Youtube that coin collectors walk you through the submittal process, so I think I have a handle on it now. I did contact a friend of mine that has his own LCS to see if I could piggyback on his submittals, but he recommended creating a membership with one of the services and submitting them myself as it is cost-prohibitive for him to submit anything less than a declared value of $5,000, and he wasn't in the process of submitting anything at the moment. So...that is probably what I will do. I do appreciate the advice and experience provided by members. Thanks!

Trish likes this.
  5. STU

STU Active Member

there are lots of grading companys out there as other members have posted my opinion is dont have any coin graded before you research it . the coin has to be worth grading you dont want to spend money when the coin is worth less than grading .ebay gives you a good look at what most coins sell for .there are lots of books coin guides .i use old books to give me a start then move to newer ones to see if they go up or down or rtemain close to the same . if its a rare coin or low mintage then maybe

MIGuy likes this.
  6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Hello- You are the very first (that I've ever come across) to mention (recommend?) ICG up there with the top tier (3) grading services. Usually it's just two...PCGS and NGC...and when it's three it includes ANACS...but never a fourth in the same sentence. Understand you were exampling membership requirements but there are plenty of others who don't require memberships, albeit it also they're generally considered less accurate/trusted. Wondered why ICG...? Are they considered fourth in order of accurate/respected TPG...? Thanks.

7. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

ef40obv.jpg
    Yes, ICG is considered one of the big 4 - PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG by most collectors & dealers. Ebay only allows coins that have been graded or slabbed by those 4 companies to be sold AS graded. The market puts a premium on PCGS slabbed coins, but we all aspire to buy the coin, not the slab, and I've had nothing but good luck with all four of these TPGS, and for simplicity, quality and price there's no beating ICG in my book. I'm putting together 2 slabbed SLQ sets (one G-VG, and now I'm working on one VF-AU) (and 2 raw sets in Whitman albums) and while I may have my FR2 Details 1916 reslabbed in a PCGS slab at some point (it's quite happy in an ICG slab for now), I trust ICG to grade and slab my coins. I'm a collector, not a dealer though. In my experience you're much more likely to find a great deal in an ANACS or an ICG slab - because people think PCGS and NGC are better. Speaking of which, I just got this ICG slabbed EF-40 in todays mail -

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Kentucky likes this.
  8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I'm just going off of what I've heard and seen in the past. For example, if you choose to filter an eBay search by graded coins, ICG is one of the four choices you can specify. Regardless, it wasn't a statement of recommendation; I just wanted to introduce several available options to the OP. Furthermore, ICG has been a persistent presence at some of the smaller shows that I've attended, which undoubtedly influenced my initial response.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    MIGuy likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...Besides, Chip is a nice guy besides being a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal... @Insider :)

MIGuy likes this.
  10. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Can you post links to the videos you found to be most helpful?

11. Histman

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

PCGS will grade and slab it for that low a price ?

Isn't there an additional charge based on the coin's value ?

13. Histman

I've never submitted, so I can't testify either way. Seems pretty straight-forwrard to me though.

14. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

15. Histman

Nope, just different ways of submitting coins. He walks you through it though.

Draft saved Draft deleted