Get your sandpaper graded...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NSP, Aug 16, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Well, if it doesn't come with the coin used to strike through it, how do they reliably authenticate? Die markers? :)

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Funny, ha ha, or funny pathetic?:)

4. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

It is weird why they would grade it, how would it have hairlines with it being sandpaper. Maybe a combination of the grit and the wear?

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

5. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Little of both lol

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'm just thinking that an employee snuck this out. Not being magnetic and all.
    By slabbing this I fear there will be more of this kind of stuff snuck out.

Insider and Santinidollar like this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it was found in a sealed monster box. I would guess that if we just randomly sent one in it'd be sent back

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I'm going to send in a stack of sanding discs with my next submission and ask them to slab them as "unstruck planchets".

rooman9, Nathan401, Sallent and 5 others like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Seriously, PCGS is one of the bellwethers of our hobby. What message does it send to the public at large when it does well-publicized stunts like grading a nail, which is the only general interest news story I've seen in eons about the hobby?

Maybe the sandpaper is on eBay because Heritage Auctions, which sold the nail, has had its own second thoughts about this foolishness...

10. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

What makes everyone sure it came from the mint? I mean we have all seen vice jobs trying to get passed off as die clashes etc. correct? This would be easy to replicate with the right tools or equipment. A sanding disk of the right size and some sort of device to apply enough pressure to push the image of the ASE from the bottom side of the disk through to the grit side. You would have to have some kind of rubber to place on the grit side that would allow the image to come through without being mashed flat. I'm sure it would be a little more complicated than the simple plan I laid out but it could be done. At $5,000 a pop I'm sure some will be trying to figure it out.

11. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

What makes everyone sure it came from the mint? I mean we have all seen vice jobs trying to get passed off as die clashes etc. correct? This would be easy to replicate with the right tools or equipment. A sanding disk of the right size and some sort of device to apply enough pressure to push the image of the ASE from the bottom side of the disk through to the grit side. You would have to have some kind of rubber to place on the grit side that would allow the image to come through without being mashed flat. I'm sure it would be a little more complicated than the simple plan I laid out but it could be done. At $5,000 a pop I'm sure some will be trying to figure it out.

12. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Sorry for multiple replies I don't know what caused that.

13. baseball21

The assumption that the only way they would certify it would be finding it in a sealed box

14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

So PCGS found the sand paper?

15. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I wonder if it has an adhesive backing? Maybe it stuck to a blank planchet and got struck. Now I'd want to see the ase with the major strike through error. And maybe it exists somewhere and pcgs also graded it at the same time. Just a theory though

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't think it an unreasonable assumption, and am not necessarily arguing "authenticity" although I'm more than a little perturbed at the "because we said so" kind of top-down attitude which permeates PCGS' efforts. Without provenance, this is just a piece of paper in a slab.

MKent likes this.
  17. baseball21

I don't know the story for sure, but I would assume it was in a sealed monster box of ASEs with the coins and had it been sent in on its own it would have been rejected. Anything in there would have had to have been done by the mint

They definitely could have done a better job with the labeling of it and I agree that a line like "From Sealed Monster Box" would eliminate a lot of questions people have about it. Their customer relations at the moment could certainly use a lot of work.

I must admit I would have really liked to have been in the encapsulation room when that landed on the desk to see the look on their faces

18. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Keep in mind, 5 grand is just a asking price. Until someone buys it, it's worth nothing.

19. Nathan401

Well, it's not on ebay anymore. Doesn't say "sold" though, just that it's unavailable.

20. Nathan401

I'm holding out for a MS 65 anyway.;)

Jaelus likes this.
  21. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Heritage just sold this one, and it's sister, a dated obverse 3M Sanding Disc, in the ANA Auction. I have a feeling Sullivan is trying for a quick flip. I can't see how this is considered a genuine mint error since I can't see any possible way a sanding disc could make it into the press room and center itself perfectly for strike on top of a planchet. Twice.

Santinidollar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted