Get your sandpaper graded...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NSP, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

because they get the monster boxes, which only they can order

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Instead of the grade they should have put the grit of the sandpaper. That would have at least gotten a chuckle out of me.

Jdiablo30, Coinlover67 and NSP like this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Do we know it came from a monster box?

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Do you REALLY think this came in a normal monster box? Btw, anyone can order a sealed monster box, but nothing like this is inside them. This "thing" along with the "nail" pieces left the mint in someone's shoe and quickly sold to a willing accomplice, (dealer). Exact same scenario as 1933 double eagles. The mint should get their house in order and find their thief(thieves).

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Most people will believe that but the honest truth is we just don't know. With the volume that the mint has been doing and how everything is getting automated things can happen. We see "errors" happen across all industries when it comes to automated production. If the processes were perfect recalls would never happen. I am not saying for sure it was a process error, but I won't rule it out until someone has been caught for doing it by hand

Insider likes this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I can understand (maybe) if pcgs was just authenticating this as having been made by a U.S. Mint die, but an actual grade??!!

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

They should put a bunch of sanding discs on PCGS Photograde so we can see the difference between an MS64 sanding disc and an MS65 sanding disc.

Someone should buy this and resubmit it for grade review.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes I do. Or at least that it could.

I have explained how these were created before. In order to "dress up" the finish on the dies as they start to wear, they will strike a eagle through a disk of fine sandpaper (grit toward the die face). That coin and the disk are supposed to be discarded. But sometimes that coin with the disk still stuck to it gets sent on with the rest of the coins. These first showed up, and were slabbed, back in the mid to late 80's. In this case the sandpaper disk has separated from the coin and PCGS slabbed it separately.

longnine009 likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Whether it was accidentally or deliberately created, PCGS shouldn't have graded it and given it possible monetary value.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It's about the bottom-line. Take it to the bank, everyone from cradle to grave is getting a piece of the action.

12. baseball21

It is what it is and I don't have a problem with them certifying it at least then people can't just stamp them at home and sell them raw. I do agree though that the numerical grade is a bit silly in this case, genuine seems to be more appropriate

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Genuine what, though? It's not a coin. It's not a silver eagle. Technically it's not even a mint error, because the very definition of a mint error in numismatics is that it must be a product of the mint (ie: a coin or medal). This is a product of 3M, or Home Depot, if you keep stretching your imagination.

14. baseball21

It was still struck though at the mint as part of the process. It may just be a piece of sandpaper but like Condor explained it as part of the process which will have appeal to some in the error world. Having just the description on the label could work as well

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

But grading it? I'm sorry, process error or not (and I could see it preserved in some fashion as a "process error"), grading it?

There are things you do for money which carry a stigma. This is one of them.

Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  16. Jeskn

Jeskn New Member

Another conspiracy theory. Mint insider sneaking it out?????

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Why not?

18. baseball21

Do we really think that 100 dollars made any difference in their bottom line or that there are going to be a money maker? Condor had mentioned them being slabbed back as far as the mid 80s would be interesting to know what companies have. Really though its something that would be to be certified for anyone to have any interest in it

19. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I think its funny

20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Errors are always hot. Like the time someone ordered the McDonald's "Chicken Selects" and got a fried chicken head/crown in their order. Big payday for the winner of that "process error."

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Ah... like the lady who got a, wait for it.... HOT coffee "error" prior to her payday, right? America... the land of "opportunity". ;)

Insider and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted