Get your bids in now while you can.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by furham, Dec 28, 2020.

1. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

wow its a shame about that planchet flaw ( I presume ) .
    You would also think it would knock it down some ?

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I think I would rather bid on the chain cent myself.

medoraman likes this.
  5. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

How do you get an MS67 grade with that nick on her cheek?

6. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

That's not a planchet flaw. It's a pair of die cracks that nearly meet in the center. ALL examples of the very rare no-pole 1796 half cent were struck that way. This one is the finest known and should sell for a lot more than the $350K current bid.
    Presumably, the cracked die is the reason they never bothered to engrave the pole into it.
    The wonder is that they used the die at all with multiple major defects.
    But, if you're wealthy enough, it can be yours.

serdogthehound, NSP, Jaelus and 3 others like this.
  7. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I zoomed in on the obverse and number of times trying to figure out whether it's a die crack or a cracked planchet. To me it looks like a planchet flaw. As far being graded MS 67 I wouldn't give it that grade based on the the condition of the reverse alone. I would call it MS 65. However, the way grading services operate if they know there are few examples they play a numbers game when it comes to grading. With this being claimed to be the finest known if the next lowest graded coin has been graded MS 65 I can see how they would now push this coin into MS 67. It's just how they broke down the condition census. If they called it a MS 65 (which I think it is) and there is another that is already graded as MS 65 by calling it a MS 67 it points to it as being the finest known. Either way it's a very nice coin.

COOPER12 likes this.
  8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I agree.

COOPER12 likes this.
  9. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna get bashed, but maybe that's why it (and the 1894-S dime) are in PCGS holders? :rolleyes:

COOPER12 and furham like this.
  10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Not a flaw at all. This is a variety and it is a nearly perfect as-struck example.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Well okay then...

12. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

$350,000 for a 1/2 a cent? NOT! I can buy a house for that.

Derrick Combs and COOPER12 like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Finances are all relative for what people can afford. Plenty of coins cost that much or significantly more. Many people would balk at the idea of paying even 20 dollars for a cent

NSP, Beefer518 and COOPER12 like this.
  14. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

^ like my wife!

COOPER12 likes this.
  15. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Maybe $10 for a half cent? Here's two ready to go :D

255bc1ad-197f-4b74-9091-4819040a2b12_1920x1080.jpg

Cliff Reuter and baseball21 like this.
  16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter what grade PCGS put it. It's the finest known example of the rarer of the two 1796 half cent die varieties. The 1796 is the holly grail of half cents, and this is the best of the rarest. To steal some Sheldon language, "It's the aristocrat of aristocrats among half cents."

As for the line across the obverse, it's a die break. It probably explains why the coin is so rare. The die failed before very many could be struck. If it doesn't have a die break, it's probably from China, and you should be able to buy those things cheap.

The final price will 7 figures. The question is, which very rich collector will hold out the longest. Coins like this are the REAL trophy coins.

As for bidding this item, it's already beyond the bidding limit I have at Heritage. :bucktooth:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lol i think you described pretty much all wives

1865King, Beefer518 and COOPER12 like this.
  18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Guess I'm out. Couldn't even afford the buyer's fee. LOL

Cliff Reuter, NSP and COOPER12 like this.
  19. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

That buyers fee would be way way out of my league

20. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

ya if you go to PCGS and compare the 65 to the 67 apart from one being RB and the other being BN the 67 has noticeable more eye appeal and significantly better detail on the hair I have no question that the 67 is a much better coin and 67 v 65 is reasonable.

This is seriously a great coin with an epic pedigree and would be a great addition to any top collection

masterswimmer and baseball21 like this.
  21. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Somebody’s annual salary will be covered with the Buyers premium on that one coin.

john65999 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted