Get rid of rim tone

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kevinslack, Jan 15, 2019.

1. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

I know people do a quick dip to get rid of ugly toneing , would a quick dip in ezest dip get rid of this tone, or does it look to thick. Screenshot_20190115-205008.png Screenshot_20190115-205039.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The problem is, that "rim tone" is already the result of a "quick dip" that wasn't properly rinsed. I wouldn't exactly call it "ugly," even if it isn't the most attractive. I'd call it neutral toning myself, and although some would prefer this over blast white, some would prefer blast white over this.

If you dipped this (and properly rinsed and stabilized the coin), you'd be left with a blast white coin with no character. Some people like this. Some people prefer a coin with some patina, as the coin you show. If you dipped it, I don't think there would be damage in the toned areas yet. But, you'd lose any character the coin had regained after having been dipped in the past.

I assume that if you're concerned about dipping it, you're probably concerned about selling it. The fact that you are asking what others prefer means that you aren't as concerned about what you prefer. If you have customers, why not ask them what they prefer?

Too many dippings leave a coin lacking luster, looking stripped and worn out. I wouldn't dip it myself, but that's up to you. This is an incredibly common coin, so it could go either way.

NSP likes this.
  4. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

I plan on sending some coins in for grading at some point, was hoping it would look nice enough. But you can get a 1887 ms 64 for around 80+ dollars. I bought this coin in a NCG holder saying ms66 on it for 85.00 I know it isn't . I don't have coin in hand yet but would like to see it grade at pcgs if it turned out nice. Or I can buy a ms65 for 480.00

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I don't mind the toning on the coin as is. Not a preference, but not unsightly. The issue I have are the black spots on the reverse fields. I don't think it would cross. IMO, too many abrasions on the obverse cheek and too many disturbances in the fields. This is a 63 coin, IMO. You did say an "NCG" holder, not "NGC" right?

6. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

I didn't relize it had be dipped or I wouldn't of bought it. I was hoping it would have luster after dip but it sounds like it might become duller. Sence it's been dipped.

7. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

Yes ,I will just take it as a lost and not dip it. I will continue buying high grade coins already graded by pcgs and ngs.

8. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

Here's one I got for 371.00 so I will just stick to higher grade coins. Screenshot_20190108-210900.png

JPeace$ likes this.
  9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Nice luster on that Morgan.

What are you trying to do in the hobby? Build a collection for yourself or try to buy/sell coins for a profit?

10. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

Right now I'm back into buying higher graded coins. Sold what I had 3 1/2 year ago for 30 + thousand which was alot of pr70 coins ms70 coins and alot of vam morgan dollars. I buy very few raw coins right now unless it's from someone's dad's collection that has passed. And spend money to get quality coins graded.

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

That 1921 I just showed is a new vam I just sent to Leroy vam Allen for a new scribble.

12. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

It will be to sell for profit years down the road, or for my wife to cash in to apmex if something every happens to me, apmex can tell you what they will give if it's in a ngc or pcgs slab.

13. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

Ok, I bought a 1878cc over a month ago, it had some rim toneing from being in a album. The seller said it was his dad's coins. I give 328.00 for this coin and it has a PL look to it. So I dipped it quickly then dipped it in a baking soda wash then hot water distilled water. It came out nice I think it will still grade. I don't like toned coins. Here it is. Screenshot_20190116-103120.png Screenshot_20190116-103102.png

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I hate to ask what it looked like before.....

The thing with "some rim toning from being in an album" is the coin is original, and has developed a patina. The coin is stable, and the toning makes it unique.

What you show there is a freshly dipped blast white generic coin. Some people prefer this look, but I honestly can't understand why.

Jaelus likes this.
  15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This. People pay premiums for attractive toning and not so much for generic blast white coins.

16. kevinslack

kevinslack silvereagle

What I want is a super nice clean coin, and I pay good money for them, 15 years ago I liked toners but getting back in collecting coins now I want clean high graded coins. The coin in picture I hope it will grade ms64 and I will be happy. It's been said pcgs and ngc dip coins to remove toneing if you don't want it. The coin didn't lose any luster at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted