Germany coin thread (only the best)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by xGAJx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Although my collection consists mostly of US coins, I am very ADHD in my collecting habits so sometimes I go off on tangents. Germany is one of the countries whose coins I find interesting for a couple of reasons. First, it has a rich numismatic history with many high quality offerings from throughout the centuries. Second, it is a country that I greatly respect and have enjoyed visiting during my past travels. So a couple of weeks ago I was browsing on Ebay and came across these two low cost examples. I couldn't resist as they have silver content and a fairly low proof mintage compared to the uncirculated versions: Kant Obverse.jpg Kant Reverse.jpg Schweizer Obverse.jpg Schweizer Reverse.jpg

Numismat and chrisild like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

After receiving these two coins I started looking for something a bit more unconventional and found a whole series of GDR commemoratives up for auction. I couldn't resist this one as I was raised in the Lutheran church and enjoy the history associated with the Reformation. It has a proof mintage of only 5000 pieces and even though it has no silver content it wasn't cheap. Eisleben Obverse.jpg Eisleben Reverse.jpg Eisleben Slab.jpg

4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

To top it all off I hit the "bid" button on a Heritage auction last week for this Thaler from Saxony. I just couldn't resist! Saxony Obverse.jpg Saxony Reverse.jpg

5. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Very nice! Had it tracked, but went too high for me to bid.

KSorbo likes this.
  6. Electron John

Electron John Active Member

The 20 Heller Coins of German East Africa are a favorite of mine as well. Thanks for that great article FredJB

7. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Something new...12 Grote from Bremen.
    Condition rarity. IMG_20170201_220454.JPG IMG_20170201_220426.JPG

8. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

36 Grote.....prooflike IMG_20170201_220329.JPG IMG_20170201_220402.JPG

9. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

10. regandon

regandon Senior Member

Very nice coins you guys have. Here is one of my favorites

Attached Files:

11. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

this thread is 5 years old and still going. a few coins i had laying about related to this thread, with a biggie of ferdinand ll silver 3 kreutzer 1627. gotta love those HRE's and the hapsburgs:) hapsburg- german coinage 001.JPG hapsburg- german coinage 002.JPG reverse krutzer 1627 leopold 001.JPG

12. Electron John

Electron John Active Member

13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

neat, i'd heard about this guy. so these were actually struck and not milled? that's pretty cool also! i'll add one of these to my want list!

Electron John likes this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Rheingold likes this.
  16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The coins from Tabora - even the gold pieces :) - were notgeld, so nobody really cared about whether the material used was copper or brass. Also, the dies had to be replaced several times, which also explains the many variants. Similarly, the 15 Rupien gold coins were made from local gold which contained a lot of silver. So typically you have 75% gold, some silver (15 to 20%) and some copper (5 to 10%) ...

Christian

17. dirty_brian

just bought this on Saturday. 1760 Munster 3 Pfennig km-430. St Paul with Sword and Bible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. dirty_brian

one of my smallest. 1806 Nurnberg 1 Kreuzer City View. KM 410. these must have gotten lost frequently, its super tiny and thin. my coin appears to have very little wear and very small die cracks along the outside rim on the obverse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. dirty_brian

1693 Frankfurt 2 Albus. I think this was a 2 year variety. an interesting little coin that I rarely see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dirty_brian

21. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

Two German coin series I work on are the small and large eagle kaiserreich 1 Mark sets. Today I received 3 small eagles I had not had, 1875 G & F and a 1881 J.

I also screwed up and tracked down a 1892 F large eagle when I really needed the 1892 G. I had accidentally placed a F I had in the place for the G. Kinda frustrated to spend the time to find a decent example of a coin minted in 300K quantities 115 years ago, and then not need it.

I'm still tracking down the last 9 coins from the Large Eagle 118 coin series 1891-1916. There are two (1891 D and 1905 F) I doubt will come my way, maybe the 91 if it crosses me in a good mood.

1875 F
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

1875 G
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

1881 J
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

1892 F
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted