Germany coin thread (only the best)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by xGAJx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

Wow amazon is the only place I could find the book and they are going from $265-$460.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't know that particular catalog, but keep in mind that it covers more than 500 years, and coins from hundreds of countries. At the top of this page there is an alphabetical list of the countries that at some point were part of the Holy Roman Empire. You could make it much easier by saying that you're only interested in the coins from this country (Federal Republic of Germany, 1949-today) but then you would miss quite a few interesting themes and designs ...

Maybe that comprehensive catalog is available at your local library, or via inter library loan? This way you could, hmm, dive into such coins without suffocating. ;)

Christian

4. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

5. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

6. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I'll probably get my feet wet with the federal republic coinage, then see where it takes me.

7. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Heres 3 common pieces i got recently.
    20161030_155550_HDR.jpg 20161030_155541_HDR.jpg 20161030_155506_HDR.jpg 20161030_155518_HDR.jpg

8. Firenze

Firenze Member

So here is a bunch of municipal coins from the Margraviate of Brandenburg. These are so-called Kipperpfennige, minted around 1622.
    The first one is from Neuruppin (1622), the second one from Cottbus (no date) and the third one from Frankfurt/Oder (1622).

Neuruppin.jpg Cottbus.jpg Frankfurt.jpg

These Kipperpfennige are actually very interesting and there are many more cities in Brandenburg that issued these. However, some of them are really scarce. There is for example a Pfennig from Perleberg with only one specimen known to exist and this one belongs to the collection of the Münzkabinett in Berlin: http://ww2.smb.museum/ikmk/object.php?id=18231027

Thus, completing this collection is going to be rather hard (meaning impossible).

However, circumstances in that time were that the Thirty Years' War was ongoing and also affected Brandenburg. So there is a lot of history related to these tiny coins that often weigh below 0.2 grams. These local issues were in some cases even minted without permission and there is a vast amount of varieties to be found.

There is one more good thing about these coins to come. Emil Bahrfehldt, probably the most famous numismatist dealing with the subject of Brandenburg/Prussia coins, published a book in the early 20th century that lists every type and most varieties: "Die Brandenburgischen Städtemünzen aus der Kipperzeit. 1621 - 1623." which can be downloaded as PDF for free. Just search for "kippermünzen brandenburg bahrfeldt" and it should be the first hit. It is written in German but provides plenty information, not only on the coins but also on the circumstances under which they were minted.

talerman likes this.
  9. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Appears I haven't posted in this thread before.

Bought this in the fall of 2015. Not a rare coin, but pretty amazing in this state of preservation.

[​IMG]

talerman, spirityoda, wcg and 4 others like this.
  10. britannia40

Just got this one this morning

$_1 (32).JPG $_1 (33).JPG

talerman, Eduard and Whipps like this.
  11. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

My first post in this thread, recently added, 5 Reichspfennig from 1936, Múnich mint (D)

Drittes Reich 5 Pfennig 1936 D.jpg

HoledandCreative and talerman like this.
  12. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

WÜRZBURG, BISTUM, Sede Vacante medal taler. 1754. Reverse features Madonna and child over saints Kilian, Kolonat and Totnan (Christian missionaries to the area in 686). The medal is 29.1 g; 44mm. Classified as Helm 699 / Zepernick 259.

[​IMG]

Historical context of figures on the medal:
    After returning from Rome around 686, Kilian, Kolnat, and Totnan took residence in Wurzburg as a base from which to operate missionary work. During his 3 years in Wurzburg, Kilian converted the pagan Duke Gozbert and many of his subjects. However, he failed to convert the Duke's wife (who was the Duke's brother's widow). Kilian spoke against their marriage, noting that it was a violation of sacred scripture being married to his brother's widow. When Geilana, heard of Kilian's words against her marriage, she became angry and had her soldiers sent to the main square of Würzburg, where Kilian and his colleagues were preaching. Kilian, along with two of his companions, Colmán and Totnan were beheaded on July 8, 689. The Wurzburg cathedral, dedicated to Kilian, was completed in 1075 and consecrated in 1187. It is the 3rd church to be built on the site; the 4th largest Romanesque style church in Germany. The original church was built in 788 and consecrated by Charlemagne.

13. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

A couple of other 44mm medals from Wurzburg featuring the saints of Kilian, Kolnat, and Totnan. It is interesting to see how the obverse changed slightly over time. Both issues commemorated sede vacante events after the death of the bishop.

1779:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    1795:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

I came across this in a box of coins I had been waiting for a rainy day to go through. If you have any idea what it is or what it represents feel free to give me direction. I went through all my German reference books and came up empty.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Seba79, talerman, wcg and 1 other person like this.
  15. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

@01mikep I believe that is some sort of medal for the franco-prussian war

16. Firenze

Firenze Member

Indeed. "Wiederauferstehung des Deutschen Reiches" means "resurrection of the German Empire" so this medal commemorates unification of the German States that followed the victory over France.

For the Niederwalddenkmal check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederwalddenkmal

Seba79 likes this.
  17. unkiebub37

unkiebub37 New Member

my collection German 1/2 mark, is from 1905-1909, every mint except 1908-F...what a blast collecting this series...unkiebub37

18. britannia40

19. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

20. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

21. laurentyvan

laurentyvan Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted