Germany coin thread (only the best)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by xGAJx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. stlnats

stlnats Active Member

Great taler made even better with the relevant picture. Gotta love it! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you!

4. stlnats

stlnats Active Member

The pic you shared with the 1863 taler got me thinking: are any of the buildings or bridges on your Frankfurt city view coins still standing? If so, do you have pix from the same angle as a then and now comparison?

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here you go. The Fürstentag took place place in the Frankfurt City Hall, or Römer.
    The building still stands and is a major attraction in Frankfurt.

The majority (all?) of the buildings that can be seen on the Frankfurt city view coins on the other hand no longer stand, as far as I know and have seen. It is all modern buildings today. I do not know about the original bridge, however.

Frankfurt_Am_Main-Roemerberg_19-27_von_Suedosten-20110307.jpg

Siberian Man, stlnats and J.A.K. like this.
  6. stlnats

stlnats Active Member

Nice with even the fountain in front. And the side of the building on the left matches too. Thanks for sharing! :happy:

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Isn't the church on those coins the cathedral? Well, that is still there. :) As for the bridge, that would be the Alte Brücke - or rather the New Old Bridge. So while the middle part, across the river, is about 50 years old, the parts on the left and right bank should be what we see on some of the coins ...

Christian

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Was searching through my boxes and found a few cool things

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71, micbraun, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That is the Olympic Stadium and the roof construction that also covers other parts of the Olympiapark in Munich. Here is a panorama photo ...

Christian

jj00 likes this.
  10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Cool picture. For a while I kept finding German eagles that just had to come home with me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

talerman, chrsmat71, wcg and 3 others like this.
  11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The first one (dated 1989) is from this country, the Federal Republic of Germany, and commemorates the country's 40th anniversary. It shows the CoA's of the (then eleven) states ...

Christian

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is an interesting coin from the historical perspective. After his series of military successes, Napoleon appointed his own youngest brother, Jerome, as king of Westphalia. The kingdom of Westphalia was based in the city of Kassel where Jerome Napoleon reigned for a short time between 1807 and 1813.
    He was forced out and his kingdom dissolved after the tide turned and Napoleon's army suffered reverses in german territory.

IMG_7564_opt-2.jpg IMG_7558_opt-2.jpg

This coin is part of a series struck to the so-called french standard (nominated in franken, francs) and not in the german monetary standard even though they circulated in german speaking territory.

After he was ousted from his luxurious and expensive post, and his brother's defeat at Waterloo, Jerome retuned to France and occupied various positions in succeeding french governments.
    Interestingly, two if Jerome Napoleon's descendants went on to serve the United States Government in various positions. One of them served as Secretary of the Navy and US Attorney General during Theodore Roosevelt's administration.

talerman, chrsmat71, J.A.K. and 3 others like this.
  13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Great piece of history, and I love coins with portraits on them. Thx for posting!

14. Patrick Rees

Patrick Rees New Member

Got a few myself:

Also, in search of buyers.

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 likes this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

thanks for that, i had NO IDEA what i was looking at on that coin!

16. triggersmob

triggersmob World Collector

2008 (A) 10 Euros
    2008 (A) Germany 10 Euro.JPG

chrisild likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The other side should be more interesting. ;) That is the Nebra Sky Disk coin. More about the disk is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk (Fortunately the two looters did not get to keep and sell what they unearthed.) Mintage of the regular version was 1.5 million ...

Christian

triggersmob likes this.
  18. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Newp from WAG (Westfälische Auktionsgesellschaft). My first experience with their online auction was very positive.

[​IMG]

spirityoda, talerman, mkivtt and 9 others like this.
  19. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

WAG does a great job. Your new purchase looks excellent jgenn.

20. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I love the designs on German coins but as a collector of mostly US coins I don't know much about them. Can anyone tell me if there is a good book on German coins? One similar to the red book for US coins (with descriptions and a little bit of history)? Thanks.

21. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

Krause Standard Catalog of German Coins 1501 to present. Avalable on disk or book form from Krause publishing

Draft saved Draft deleted