Germany coin thread (only the best)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by xGAJx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1761 Munster Taler - DAV-2470. One year issue to commemorate death of Clemens August of Bavaria.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

talerman, spirityoda, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

this coin is so amazing. wow:jawdrop:
    I just looked it up in my 18th century krause.
    German States/Munster 1761 Thaler KM#199 in UNC goes for $1,200 so I am guess way more $$$.:greedy: amazing grade. thanks for posting it. :cool::):cool::):cool::)

wcg likes this.
  4. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Very kind spirityoda! This is the result of a 12 year effort so far. I stumbled onto the german states sede vacante theme by accident and the intertwined political/religious history hooked me. The stars don't always align for me to purchase, but I manage to catch one or two per year.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I know that feeling.... getting my avatar 1832 Belgium coin. NGC MS-65 . only a 15 year hunt for that grade. lol it is the king of my collection.

wcg likes this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is my Regensburg AV Dukat ND issued under Franz II Holy Roman Emperor 1792-1806 john photos 1 032 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 033 (Medium).jpg

talerman, jj00, chrisild and 2 others like this.
  7. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Amazing piece. I love that cityview. The f.st grade looks conservative.

8. panzerman

I agree! With US Third Party grading its the opposite! Would be nice to be rich....I saw at Kunker Auctions a Stempelglanz 30 Dukaten from Regensburg/ City view/Double Headed Eagle....WOW! Recently, a Basel 20 Dukaten FDC/ City View/ Basilisk went for 900,000 SFRS. What a stunner!

9. panzerman

Here is my AV 10 Franken 1813-C (Cassel Mint) Jerome Napoleon King of Westphalia. This was under French Occupation during Napoleonic Wars. john photos 1 035 (Medium).jpg

talerman, spirityoda and Zohar444 like this.
  10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Admittedly I do not know much about these pieces, but aren't those restrikes? The first one has some signature above the BO of the city name, and the second one comes with that "riconio di Parigi" note. Nevertheless, the pieces do have great designs!

11. panzerman

Hi: Sorry for delay, I had to go to a party!

#1: The Regensburg AV Dukat is original...all examples are alike in Krause.
    #2: The Westphalia AV 10 Franken according to Krause...there were some restrikes struck from original dies in 1867. I think 80 examples. So, these were not "modern" restrikes, but old ones. Still very rare coin in its own right. Something similar to Russian novodels...restrikes in 1850s of Russian coins 16/17th century.
    John

12. panzerman

Here is my AV 2 Dukaten from Imperial Free City of frankfurt 1792. This was a commerative coin issued for election of Habsburgs Franz II as Holy Roman Empire. john photos 1 035 (Medium).jpg john photos 1 036 (Medium).jpg

13. trussell

trussell Active Member

I've posted this elsewhere. Probably my best coin.
    frankfort1060.jpg frankfortobv061.jpg

talerman, spirityoda, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  14. panzerman

Beautifull reverse eagle. I am REALLY trying to obtain a early dated Frankfurt goldgulden from 1492-99! Tough to find examples in FDC, most are Sehr Schone (VF)

15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

A little trivia for you. The term "Pfennig check!" Does anyone know what that means?

S20160313_001.jpg S20160313_002.jpg

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

No problem, hope you had a good time. :) As I wrote, some of the older German/HRE coins I know, most I am not really familiar with. Thanks for the explanation!

17. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hmm, here in Germany we use the term "€1 check" for a quick test of your tire profile. (The pill and the ring have different colors, and the ring - about 3 mm - should not be visible.) Maybe something like that?

Christian

19. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting. Question: Are you German or American?

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

North Rhine Westphalian, German, European. :) So was a 1 Pfennig coin used for that purpose?

Christian

21. panzerman

I was born in the medieval city of Julich, not important now, but very much so in 1500s. Then called Julich-Cleve-Berg.
    John

chrisild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted