Germany coin thread (only the best)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by xGAJx, Feb 17, 2013.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that is an amazing coin. I like the lions. envy is the word. thanks for posting it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Got this in the mail today. I already posted it in the post your new acquisition world-ancient thread, but since I see a gorgeous toning of gun metal blue fading into rust red I gotta post it here. sellers pics.... better pics when my girlfriend gets home.

German States/Baden, 1831 Thaler (Krone) KM#195.1 mintage-168,000
    weight- 18.1480g or .5105oz. metal- .875 silver ruler- Leopold I, looks the same size as a Morgan dollar. my cost $271.00 I can not stop looking at it. I really like the griffins. I also feel like I am holding history in my hands.

$_57 (3)44444.JPG

talerman, 49ers and jj00 like this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

You are :) and yes, the Griffins are über cool!

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

6. Jason Hoffpauir

Christian...you mention there are no coins with A. Hitler's mug on it ....but there are only medals...do you have a link where I can find a wide assortment of these A.H. medals you speak of? Thank you in advance.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Dunno; eBay maybe. I do not collect those.

Christian

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Beautiful? What's wrong with you?

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

While I find it hard to keep "design" and "message" apart, some people are apparently able or willing to do so. For example, quite a few Americans love nazi 2 and 5 RM coins, or Karl Goetz's propaganda medals. One might say that a Goetz piece, or the medal which @kolyan760 showed us, is great. I would not agree with such statements, primarily because even a nazi medal with Hitler's mug and a swastika is still a nazi medal. But people who love such items may well find them byoootiful ...

Christian

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I see a fascist leader on that medal, who was responsible for the death of millions of people. "Beautiful" is definitely NOT the appropriate word here. I think the Kookaburra on the Aussie silver coins looks "beautiful"...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  11. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

An interesting and worthwhile array. Too bad so many of them are badly tarnished.

gbroke likes this.
  12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I know, right?

13. Jason Hoffpauir

What is wrong with ME...no What is wrong with you. These forums are for people to show their coinage or medals for others to view...if what you see makes you upset and you consider them NOT beautiful then that is YOUR problem. I look at the artistic aspect of ANY coin. It is a BEAUTIFUL coin to me...if you dont like it...WHO CARES..because I have a right to express my opinion on any coin I think is beautiful. Some people are SO narrow minded. If you don't like what you see change the channel...but to judge others because they don't line up with your beliefs is immature and childish.

14. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" even after one can get past the hot button issues. I have been collecting for well over 50 years and have yet to see any actual person's portrait on a coin that I think is beautiful. I personally love allegorical art on coins and medals, coins like the US Standing Liberty quarter and Walking Liberty half dollar. Foreign examples would be the French sower designs, the Romanian seed sowing lady types and the British Standing Britannia florin. For Germany nothing beats the Franco Prussian War Victory thaler series in my estimation.

spirityoda likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Lets stop this here. Coins or medals are coin or medals here, nothing more. They have been produced since ancient times to memorialize conquest or political or religious significance. They are allowed to be posted as 'objects'~ beautiful, artistic, or ugly , but not to be discussed is the events behind them in a political or religious manner. Play nice.

Jim

J.A.K. and spirityoda like this.
  16. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

German States/Bavaria 1857 thaler:
    DSC_2908.JPG
    DSC_2909.JPG
    DSC_2910.JPG
    DSC_2915.JPG
    DSC_2916.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Germany 1966-G 5 mark proof:
    DSC_2918.JPG DSC_2919.JPG DSC_2920.JPG DSC_2921.JPG DSC_2922.JPG

furryfrog02, Effigy303 and jj00 like this.
  19. 49ers

49ers Junior Member

spirityoda likes this.
  20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'm rather new here and enjoying going thru' these old threads. Here's the Wurttemburg victory thaler. One of those Ebay buys that actually was better than the seller's picture, so I really like it.... Looks better than my pictures too LOL

Wurt.vic.thalerO.jpg Wurt.vic.thalerR.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    spirityoda, jj00 and chrsmat71 like this.
  21. Dcordeiro

Dcordeiro Active Member

Just posted this one in the "Recently Purchased" thread but given that there is this specific one... ill put it here also.

One of the most amazing and beautiful toned coins I have in the collection.

[Prussia] 2 Mark 1913 - 100 Years (PCGS MS65)
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted