Germanicus Restored by Titus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Mar 11, 2021.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

One of my numismatic New Year's resolutions was to begin collecting the extensive Restoration series of bronze coins struck by Titus and Domitian. I've always been fascinated by the series and was very pleased to have recently acquired my first Restoration coin. Anyone who has watched the I, Claudius series will vividly recall Germanicus's death and the subsequent poison trial of senator Piso.

T442.jpg Germanicus, Restored by Titus
    Æ As, 10.16g
    Rome mint, 80-81 AD
    Obv: GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N; Head of Germanicus, bare, l.
    Rev: IMP T CAES DIVI VESP F AVG RESTITVIT; S C in centre
    RIC 442 (C). BMC -. BNC -.
    Acquired from Herakles, March 2021.

Titus struck an extensive restoration series of bronze coins of Flavian approved past emperors and imperial family members which reproduced the original coins in their entirety. While this veneration of past coinages was not a new idea (Vespasian copied past types on many reverses for the precious metal issues) it was quite an innovation to copy both the obverse and reverse of these past coinages. To do so likely had a dual purpose - one, to recoin types that were being recalled or falling out of circulation and to keep their memory alive, and secondly to link the Flavian house with those past revered personages. The meaning is quite clear on the reverse with Titus declaring he has restored (RESTITVIT) the coin.

Germanicus Julius Caesar (24 May 15 BC – 10 October 19 AD) was an immensely beloved member of the Julio-Claudian dynasty. Son of Nero Claudius Drusus and Antonia the Younger, grandson to the emperor Augustus, nephew to the emperor Tiberius, and brother to the emperor Claudius. He was a very successful general in Germania and celebrated a triumph for those campaigns. He later died in Syria of unknown causes (although, it is rumoured the 'Tiberius friendly' Senator Piso had him poisoned). Apparently, he was still a beloved figure during the Flavian era.

Feel free to post anything you feel may be relevant or your own New Year's resolution coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Super example! I owned one of these a while ago but sold it almost immediately as it wasn't "collection worthy". I eventually hope to collect the series as well.

For now,

My current Imperial Germanicus (The OP coin restores the one by Caligula with head left, this one is Claudius with head right)
    Germanicus AE as under claudius.jpg

My prized lifetime bust of the man (he appeared while alive only on a handful of provincial bronzes!)
    Germanicus with Drusus Lydia Sardes.jpg

And a later Restoration issue of Augustus not by Titus, but Nerva!
    Divus Augustus by Nerva AE dupondius.jpg

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My most recent REST coin is this Livilla as by Titus.
    rb0895rp1917.jpg

My favorite REST coin is omitted in your guidelines since it is by Nerva. I sure would like to know why the holes were made. What was this coin once attached to?
    rb0890b01960alg.JPG

My favorite Germanicus was not included in the types restored by the later emperors.
    rb0985fd2626.jpg

The REST I do not have but would like is the Divus Augustus Sestertius by Titus.
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=91311

David Atherton, Bing, Limes and 10 others like this.
  5. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

The number 47... What does it signify?

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..a previous collector/Museum's identifying mark/number

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

GERMANICUS - Rufficus Messicus Greenicus

Restored under Gaius (Caligula)

upload_2021-3-11_11-29-19.png
    RI
    Germanicus Caesar
    died 10 October 19 CE
    Copper As
    27mm
    struck under Caligula-
    S-C
    RIC I 35 BMCRE I 49 Left

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Great coins! Here's my left-facing Germanicus, issued by Caligula.

Germanicus (died 19 AD, father of Caligula [Gaius] & brother of Claudius), AE As, Memorial issue struck under Caligula, 40-41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head left, GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N / Rev. Legend C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG P M TR P IIII P P around large S C in center. RIC I Caligula [Gaius] 50, Sear RCV I 1822. BMCRE 74 (Caligula), Cohen 4. 28 mm., 11.99 g., 6 h.

Germanicus jpg version.jpg

I would also like a right-facing one someday.

David Atherton, Bing, Limes and 4 others like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Handsome coin, David.

germanicus.jpeg
    Germanicus, with Divus Augustus (15 B.C. - 19 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea
    O:GERMANICVS CES TI AVGV COS II PM, bare head of Germanicus right.
    R: DIVVS AVGV-STVS, radiate head of Augustus left.
    3.23g
    16.5mm
    RPC I 3623a; cf. Sydenham, Caesarea 50; RIC I 61; BMCRE 106

The date of this issue remains uncertain. RPC places it late in Tiberius' reign, circa 33/4 AD, while the traditional dating, adopted by RIC and Sydenham, place's it in the first year of Caligula's reign, 37/8 AD.

David Atherton, Bing, Limes and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted