Featured Germania Capta!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Mar 18, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Last year I purchased a rare variant of Domitian's Germania Capta sesterii. It's a decent coin but quite worn. I've always wanted a better example of this iconic Flavian type (i.e. one in which the legends can be read in full) and finally made good on that wish last week. I was able to win at a fairly bargain price this more common variant of the type.

D351a.jpg
    Domitian
    Æ Sestertius, 25.24g
    Rome mint, 85 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS POT P P; Head of Domitian, laureate, r., with aegis
    Rev: GERMANIA CAPTA; S C in exergue; Trophy; to r., German captive stg. r., hands bound, head l.; to l., Germania std. l.; around arms
    RIC 351 (C). BMC 325. BNC 350.
    Ex Agora 96, 10 March 2020, lot 349. Ex CNG E458, 18 December 2019, lot 349. Ex Gorny & Mosch 261, 4 March 2018, lot 700. Ex Shlomo Moussaieff Collection. Formerly in NGC holder #4934009-008, with grade VF, strike 5/5, surface 2/5.

In 85 Domitian struck a fairly impressive issue of sestertii, M. Grant hyperbolically called it the most 'ambitious' of any one reign or year. The series is the first major aes issue of Domitian's reign and is dominated by panoramic types commemorating his military victory over the Germanic tribe the Chatti. The details of the war are unclear, but the overall impression is that the conflict was a minor affair blown out of proportion by an emperor eager for military glory. No large battles, a la Mons Graupius, have come down to us, prompting Tacitus' assertion, 'that in recent times, the Germans were more triumphed over than conquered'. Consequently, Domitian's Germanic triumph of 83 received a certain amount of ridicule from ancient writers who thought the whole thing was a sham (Dio goes so far as to say Domitian raided the palace's furniture stores for his fake spoils!), no doubt the numismatic propaganda for the victory was likely viewed in the same manner by contemporary senatorial elites. Germania Capta types were first struck in silver in 84 and in bronze in 85. This iconic Germania Capta sestertius strongly echoes Vespasian's Judaea Capta types - but instead of a palm tree we see a trophy which appears to be mounted on a palm trunk(?). H. Mattingly writes in BMCRE 'the type is closely modelled on the Judaea Capta of Vespasian, but the German element is indicated by the heavy angular cloak worn by the man and by the oblong shields.' Comparing the two triumphs, the Josephian scholar Steve Mason remarked - 'The same people who produced Flavian Triumph I: Judaea were on hand for Flavian Triumph II: Germania, and sequels are rarely as good as the originals.'

The Germania Capta commemorative sestertii were produced for only a few short years between 85-88. The present example from the second issue of 85 is probably the most common variant of the type struck just before Domitian was awarded the perpetual censorship.

The coin came slabbed and I was very eager to crack it out!

7AqKNm6Pw9Yc8WnS7jF2c5BEnB4gNx.jpg

20200318_180659.jpg

Feel free to post your Capta or commemorative types!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

4. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

That is a very nice sestertius!
    Since you already had a silver and some bronze Germania capta coins. I hoped when I saw the title that you had acquired a Germania capta aureus. But this coin is not disappointing either.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice sestertius David. Not one you see everyday.

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

A real beauty David!

Vespasian_0.jpg

IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG
    Laur. head of Vespasian right

IVDAEA
    Judaea as mourning captive seated right on ground at foot of trophy.

Celebrating the success of Vespasian and Titus in quelling the first Jewish Revolt. Portrait looks like a cross between Otho and Vitellius

Rome 69-70 AD

RIC 2 (C2); Sear 2296

3.285g

Ex-Maridvnvm; Ex-Forum!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice coin @David Atherton. I like it that you can clearly read Germania on the reverse. The coin probably looks better in hand then on a photo? I have the same issue with a sestertius with bad surface. In the photo it looks like the moon, in hand its really ok.
    46.3.png

And my only Flavian capta coin:

14.3.png

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

An awesome addition David. Congrats!

9. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's a well struck and centered example, with nearly full legends. Nice!

10. David Atherton

Presently, I'm not collecting gold ... maybe someday, but right now there are way too many tempting bronze and silver.

11. David Atherton

Yes, it does.

20200319_183302.jpg

12. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Nice find! Strange that lot 349 is missing from the E458 results.

I would crop out the flash bounce back from the in-hand picture. The picture shows really well the faces. What could've been the dialog? "Nun was?" "Silentium!"

13. David Atherton

It went unsold, perhaps that's the reason?

Draft saved Draft deleted