German War tokens.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The Duren 10 pfennig piece was the first one I got about 25 years ago in a lot of mixed world coins. That was back in the days when very few people knew how to use the internet and it took a while to figure out what the coin was. I found the topic interesting, and ended up buying the books by Upton and Lamb. Now I have about 600 different Funck varieties from about 280 different towns. All because of that Duren piece that took a while to research

The Eidolon likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

4. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I took some my kriegsgeld/notgeld/WWI occupation money out of the holders and tried to get some pictures. For today:
    Aachen 1920 25 Pfennig
    Aachen 1920 25 Pfennig copy.jpeg

Bremen Undated 1918-22 2 Pfennig
    Bremen 1918-22 2 Pfennig.jpeg

talerman, Siberian Man and Seba79 like this.
  5. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Both coins minted by L. Chr. Lauer, from Nuremberg.

The Eidolon likes this.
  6. The Eidolon

Coblenz 1918 25 Pfennig
    It's a little hard to read the text on my photos, but these had a variable redemption
    date. It reads "GÜLTIG BIS 1 JAHR NACH FRIEDENSSCHLUSS"
    (Good for 1 year after the conclusion of peace) The end date of the War was still
    speculative when these were minted.
    Coblenz 1918 25 Pfennig.jpeg

Seba79 likes this.
  7. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Nice coin, minted by Gebrüder Kugel & Fink, from Lüdenscheid.

The Eidolon likes this.
  8. The Eidolon

A couple more:

Neuweid am Rhein 1917 10 Pfennig
    There are a couple versions of these, I think this is iron rather than zinc. Neuweid am Rhein 1917 10 Pfennig.jpeg

Mainz 1918 5 Pfennig
    I like the design on this one.
    Mainz 1918 5 Pfennig.jpeg

Seba79 likes this.
  9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Interesting pieces, the first minted by Wilhelm Deumer, from Lüdenscheid, and the second by L. Chr. Lauer, from Nuremberg.

The Eidolon likes this.
  10. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice, this piece was minted by F.W. Busch, from Lüdenscheid, and the mintage was 53.150 pieces.

Siberian Man likes this.
  11. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

This coin was minted by Adam Donner between 1916 and 1918, from Elberfeld.

Siberian Man likes this.
  12. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

That's right, minted by Heinrich Timm, from Berlin.

Siberian Man likes this.
  13. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Both pieces were minted by Gebrüder Kugel & Fink, from Lüdenscheid, and the quantity minted were 500,000 pieces for Bonn and 501,500 for the other piece.

14. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice piece minted by L. Chr. Lauer, from Nuremberg. The amount was 331,750 pieces.

Steve66 likes this.
  15. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

One very ugly woman

0E91ACA8-25BA-44A9-BF37-896BE6BDC954.jpeg

Seba79, The Eidolon and Siberian Man like this.
  16. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Altenburg.
    Town in Thuringia with the population about 33000.

10 pfennig 1920, zinc, weight - 2,82 g., size - 21 mm, thickness - 1,42 mm, mintage unknown. Single release.
    157.jpg 158.jpg

Seba79 and Steve66 like this.
  17. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Arnstadt.
    Town in Thuringia with the population about 25500.

10 pfennig (without date), iron, weight - 2,47 g., size - 20,1 mm, thickness - 1 mm, mintage - 100000 pcs. Minted in Nuremberg. Single release.
    155.jpg 156.jpg

Seba79 and The Eidolon like this.
  18. The Eidolon

Two more:
    Oberamt Göppingen, 1918, 10 Pfennig, Iron (Württemberg, Göppingen District)
    Oberamt Göppingen 1918 10 Pfennig.jpeg

Rodach, 1918, 50 Pfennig, Zinc
    Rodach 1918 50 Pfennig.jpeg

Siberian Man and Seba79 like this.
  19. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I don’t know...

That second chin kinda does something for me.

20. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

1 GROSCHE (or Groschen in standard German) means it had a value of 10 pfennig. The word "Öcher" is local dialect for "Aachener", this coin was minted by L. Chr. Lauer, from Nuremberg.

21. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice pieces! The first was minted by Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik of Göppingen. Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik, a German tableware manufacturer, founded in 1853. This Company was originally called Metallwarenfabrik Straub & Schweizer and was opened as a metal repairing workshop. Through mergers and acquisitions, by 1900 they were the world's largest producer and exporter of household metalware, mainly in the Jugendstil, or Art Nouveau style, designed in the WMF Art Studio under Albert Mayer, sculptor and designer, who was director from 1884 to 1914.

In 1880 after Metallwarenfabrik Straub & Schweizer merged with another German company, it was renamed as the Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik. WMF acquired the Polish metalware factory Plewkiewicz in Warsaw in 1886, which then became a subsidiary of WMF around 1900. During this period, the WMF employed over 3500 people. In 1890 they acquired the Kunstanstalt für Galvanoplastik München, which specialized in electrotyping and electroforming of statues and statuettes for buildings, fountains, tombstones, and gardens; this became the Abteilung für Galvanoplastik (Galvanoplastic Division) of WMF. During the 1920s, Abteilung für Galvanoplastic was producing reproductions of large-scale Italian Renaissance bronze works for an American clientele. Albert Weiblen Marble & Granite Co., Inc. of New Orleans pursued the acquisition of a gilt copper reproduction of Ghiberti's "Gates of Paradise". In 1910, the Reale Istituto di Belle Arti had granted WMF the exclusive right to take a sharp cast of the original doors, from which WMF created a reproduction that was exhibited at the International Building Trades Exhibition in Leipzig (1913). WMF produced a trilingual catalog about the doors, titled Erztüre des Hauptportals am Baptisterium in Florenz.

The Eidolon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted