German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 14, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. 8

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 7

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615
    01-TeutonicOrder-frame.png
    Obverse: continuous legend: MAXIMIL: DG: ARC: AV: DVX:BVRG: MAG: PRVSS: ADMI:, caped duke standing, long sword in right hand, lion with shield left, plumed helmet right. (Translation of obverse legend: "Maximilian, by God's Grace Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Grand Master of the Teutonic Order".)
    Reverse: Armored and helmeted duke with lance on draped horseback right, 16 shields surrounding, coat of arms of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order below.
    Issuer: Maximilian III of Austria, as Grand Master of the Teutonic Order.
    Specifications: Silver, 30 mm, 7 g approx.
    Grade: PCGS XF45, cert. #81824095.
    Reference: KM-38, PCGS-61537, Numista-80312.
    Provenance: ex-Halbedel Münzen und Medaillen, Salzburg, Austria,
    via MA-Shops, 25 May 2016. Purchased raw.
    Notes: The Teutonic Knights were founded as a military order during the Crusades. Since 1810 they have been a purely religious order doing charitable work, but they still award knighthoods.
    Comments: If you can describe a coin as having machismo, this one certainly does. We have a big man in armor with a huge sword, a lion, and an elaborate helmet. And that's just the obverse! On the other side, a sinister looking armored horse and its rider charge across the reverse. And then there are all those heraldic shields. There is so much going on here! This is why I love thaler coinage: for the intricate designs. This one is only a quarter-thaler, but it's still a sizeable coin and quite elaborate.

01-TeutonicOrder-frame.png 02-TeutonicOrder-TrueView.png 03-TeutonicOrder-black.png 04-TeutonicOrder-gradient.png 05-TeutonicOrder-white.png 06-TeutonicOrder-shadowbox.png 07-TeutonicOrder-obv.png 08-TeutonicOrder-rev.png 09-TeutonicOrder-slab.png

026800S

PaulTudor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This coin was the subject of an earlier thread in late 2016, but couldn't be retooled to add the poll, so I created this new thread with my updated format. This way I can link to it from my collection thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted