German States (Mecklenburg-Wismar): silver witten, struck after the Wendish Coinage Union of 1379

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 12, 2020.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. 9

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. 8

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. 7

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

German States (Mecklenburg-Wismar): silver witten, struck after the Wendish Coinage Union of 1379 Witten-frame.png
    Obverse: Crowned bull's head facing, with protruding tongue.
    Reverse: Lily cross or cross fleurée, star in center.
    Issuer: Wismar, Hanseatic city in Mecklenburg, Germany.
    Specifications: Silver witten, 17 mm approx., 1.36 g. Slightly double-struck on obverse.
    Grade: PCGS XF40; cert. #39640148. Purchased raw.
    Reference: Numista-108456, Jesse 365, Oertzen 257-264, Kunzel 2 A/i.*
    Provenance: ex-Holger Siee, Germany, via MA-Shops, 11 June 2020.*
    Notes: Struck after the recess of 1379, under the Wendischer Münzverein (Wendish Coinage Union). The same bull motif on this coin remains on the coat of arms of Mecklenburg to this day.
    Comments: The whimsical, cartoonish bull with his tongue sticking out proved irresistible to me. He reminds me a bit of the gorgons on some ancient Greek coins. I affectionately call this my MCMC ("Mad Cow Medieval Coin").

Witten-frame.png

Witten-TrueView.jpg

Witten-black.png

Witten-gradient.png

Witten-white.png Witten-slab.png

014849S

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I love medieval hammered coins, especially ones with mad cows. I gave it a 9.

I can't quite make out the Latin on the obverse. "Civitas..."

There also appear to be some that have bull's heads on both sides.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Yes, a 9 for me as well. The inscription is CIVITAS MAGNOP[OL], I believe.

Sidney Osborne and ewomack like this.
  5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on another awesome coin @lordmarcovan The bull on the obverse is so whimsical, I'll certainly have to add the type to my want list.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Same seller I bought mine from has a nearly identical example for the same price, as of this post. Which worked out to just a smidgen below a hundred bucks after currency exchange and shipping. I'll PM you a link.

On second thought, just click here. I only had two watchlisted but now that I know the proper keywords, I'm seeing lots of them. Cool coins.

I had the one I just bought in my watchlist for several months. Finally took the plunge last night.

Sidney Osborne and FitzNigel like this.
  7. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

I love this coin type. It's been in my want list forever. It's one of the coin designs I want to make. Love the reverse as well.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Cachecoins

I bought it, it was in very good shape and I seldom see them in good condition. Thanks.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Nice- which one did you get?

10. Cachecoins

11. lordmarcovan

Awesome. I love the light CircCam contrast. Usually I'd have gone for yours first because of the toning, but I liked the strike on my example just a tad more, even though it is somewhat doubled.

They're both so close to each other, at least in my estimation.

Sidney Osborne and Cachecoins like this.
  12. Cachecoins

I can't tell you how rare it is for me to make an impulse buy like that but it often takes me years to find the example I want before I pull the trigger but this one was a nice example so there you go :). This forum is a bad influence.

These are the other ones I have been looking for just the right example.

image033.jpg
    levon-tram-93422.jpg
    80008q00.jpg

13. lordmarcovan

I recognize the second and third coins as Armenian, but I don't recognize the first, cow-head one at the top. That is very cool looking. They all are.

PS- I wish I could say impulse buying is rare for me. But far from it, especially recently!

14. Cachecoins

1. Moldova (Moldavia) Stefan the Great

2. Cilician Armenia Levon I

3. Cilician Armenian Levon I

I think both of the Armenian coins are Levon

Sidney Osborne and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. Hermann Watzlawik

Hermann Watzlawik Well-Known Member

Hello, just to add my knowledge of German history: Wismar was also Part of the Hanseatic League as the other members of Wendish Coinage Union

Cachecoins likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Yes. That was noted in my description.

What else can you tell us about the Hanseatic League or Wendish Coinage Union that those Wikipedia links did not cover? I had to use German Wikipedia in a few places and rely on Google translation.

Sidney Osborne likes this.
  17. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

I want the first one too! I've noticed that Solidus tend to auction moldavian/vallachian medieval coins quite often! The bull head on the coin is related to a legend saying that, Dragos the Founder adventured with his party, around 300 men, over the Carpathians, from Maramures to scout a new land. Apparently a bison/ auroch crossed path with them, so a hunt began, which resulted in the bison being arrowed whilst trying to cross a river. In this process, Dragos's dog, Molda, jumped in the water following the bison, but was carried away by the fast stream and died. As a result the river was named Moldavia and the region too, with the bull's head being used as a coat of arms since then. Stephan the Great was an interesting figure in Europe at that time and many of his coins were later melted, due to their high silver content , as far as i know.
    I used to spend my summer holidays as a kid, swimming and fishing in that river! Also lived very close to the place where Stephan defeated Mathias Corvin and his Black Army(at least some of it),Baia and always tried to imagine how that winter battle looked like!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  18. Cachecoins

mecklenburg-wismar.jpg

Coin came in...feel like I owe you a finder's fee but I will just say thanks :)

19. lordmarcovan

Finders fee payable in ancient or medieval hammered gold, please. ;)

Like the color on that. Looks nicely grey, with a bit of contrast. Even a CircCam, I daresay.

20. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm afraid I rated it a bit lower than other, but mainly because it isn't quite in my taste wheelhouse. Still a cool coin and great addition. :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Totally valid opinion. To each their own, right? That's part of my reasoning behind these extremely unscientific polls: just to gauge people's tastes.

Sidney Osborne and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted