German Notgeld 1 Goldmark from Bielefeld

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seba79, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hello boys and girls ! I have this notgeld, and i need some info about it, like the name of the designer / engraver ? Or the total coinage? The coin shows a strong style to Karl Goetz's work, but i am not sure of this..
    The information of this type of coins its scarce in some types.

Many thanks

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600a.jpg

longnine009 and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Funck-633.1.

longnine009 likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

mintage of 1500 in plated silver and 1000 in plated nickel silver. Listed as not being for general circulation. Must be common because it is listed at 10 euros in Unc. It has some interesting propaganda re: WW1. The top image is the reverse. Bismarck portrait. Says some stuff about Wilson's 14 points on the shield after GOLDMARK. Obverse (bottom pic) shows the Blacksmith of Bielefeld sitting on an anvil with a reference to a biblical verse Sirach 30 verse 12. The demon/devil kneeling is WW1 French Prime minister Poincare. Funck has a lot written, but my german is sehr schleckt and It will take too long to translate. Nice Notgeld. Schoner als mein.

longnine009 and Seba79 like this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Also says Unknown manufacturer

longnine009 likes this.
  6. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the help ! Do you have the Funck's catalogue? Can you scan the info about this notgeld? Or taken a picture?

Thanks again

7. I look at the artistry on this medal and feel nothing but shame for the US mint's products.
    (so many notgeld notes and coins are beautiful works of art, which only goes to prove that it can be done, if a government wants it. Ours doesn't).

8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Pesky quality often gets in the way of profits, after all...

A very striking piece, indeed. All I can say is "yowza!" And I don't say that lightly...

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Apples and oranges. ;) When a city or some other local institution issues notgeld, it does not have to take the same considerations into account as the government of a country. Also, this piece was made almost 100 years ago - a local medal minted these days would probably look different.

But this is not notgeld anyway. It is a receipt, sort of, from a Ruhrhilfe fundraiser campaign (more info in German is here for example). And it is political propaganda, mixing the "stab in the back" lie and the support of the resistance against the Ruhr area occupation ...

Christian

talerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted