German Nazi coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by arcadian, Jan 15, 2012.

1. arcadian

arcadian New Member

Greetings, New poster so go easy on me.. what I am curious about is nazi pfennig coins (pictures will follow} I have a bunch and they are all dull and discolored (very ugly) they appear to be some zinc alloy I realize cleaning is a no... no but is there a suit-able way to restore them to a viewable state I heard finger nail polish remover might help experiences thoughts thank you in advance Best Regards Stephen

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

i too have an interest in german nazi era coinage, but i have yet to aquire one

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

They are zinc and prone to perishing, once corroded they can`t be restored.

5. arcadian

arcadian New Member

Thanks daveydempsey wont bother with picture... I had heard same just needed a 2nd opinion seen same with steel pennys no hope... Best Regards Stephen

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The zinc alloy used in the Third Reich coinage was used later in their history once the copper and bronze became more critical to the war effort and once their economy began to decline. The mintages of the zinc coins were (for the most part) far greater than then the mintages of the previous copper/bronze issues for this reason.

The zinc coins were made numbers very quickly using low quality material and as a result are very commonly found today in a corroded state. Once these coins become corroded, there is nothing that can be done to fix them. Fortunately, the vast majority of the zinc coins are common and can be found in nice shape if you search for them. I have a decent sized collection of Third Reich coinage and would be happy to answer any questions about this type of coin you might have.

7. CamaroDMD

Just in case you are interested, here is the current centerpiece of my Third Reich collection. This is a 1940-A 10pf Military Issued coin. They were used in the regions the German military was the governing body. Today, they are extremely hard to find in decent grade. This is the most common coin in the series, but it still worth a couple hundred dollars due to it's conditional rarity. I have never seen a nicer example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. arcadian

arcadian New Member

Thanks for the pic and info camarodmd will have more questions I'm sure :)

9. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

If you got some cheaper zinc coin and you don't mind lowering the value/grade by cleaning, you can try lemon juice.

Entirely submerge zinc coin into fresh lemon juice. From time to time move the coin inside it, flip it around with something like tweezers. The time for this procedure depends on depth of the dark patina, but in general, if it is not happening after 10 minutes, take the coin out and wash under clean running water. Zinc is affected by the lemon acid much easier and faster than copper, for example. The coin should look much better, if you do it right.

10. CamaroDMD

I would post photos of the coins before you attempt any type of cleaning. Sometimes these coins can tone and spot and look really ugly but they are in fact MS coins. Any attempt to clean them or improve their appearance will severely hurt their value.

Stephen, there are several different types of Third Reich zinc coins. Do any of yours have a hole in the middle like the once I posted a photo of? Those are the rare military issue coins. If they do not have a hole, they are the regular issue coins.

11. arcadian

arcadian New Member

The coins I have do not have holes I did a bit of research and comparisons and they are nothing special nice circulated coins. Will probably avoid cleaning as it will lower value. Thanks for all info

12. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The Third Reich and most of it's allies has used a zincum: Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Slovakia. Only Italy & Finland hasn't used a zincum.

rzage likes this.
  13. CamaroDMD

I'd be interested in knowing what coins you have in your collection. I will try and post some photos of mine in the next day or two.

14. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

nazi fake note.jpg operation bernhard british pound forgery wwii berhard krueger.jpg germany_nazi_donation_token_1932.jpg her is some note an coin

15. Siberian Man

Here is mine.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      26.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Siberian Man

And yet.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
    panzerman likes this.
  17. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Great photography Camaro :)

18. CamaroDMD

Here are a few others in my collection:

1939-A Bronze 1 Reichpfennig
    [​IMG]

1939-D Bronze 1 Reichpfenng - Notice Die Crack on reverse, this is the only non-MS coin in my collection. It's AU
    [​IMG]

1944-A Zinc 1 Reichpfennig
    [​IMG]

1940-A Bronze 2 Reichpfennig - Notice the lint mark on the obverse from a die polishing rag
    [​IMG]

1940-F Zinc 5 Reichpfrennig
    [​IMG]

1948-A Zinc 5 Reichpfennig Allied Occupation coin (notice no Swastika)
    [​IMG]

1939-D Brass 10 Reichpfennig
    [​IMG]

1939-A Nickel 50 Reichpfennig
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1938-E .625 Silver 2 Reichmark
    [​IMG]

1935-D .900 Silver 5 Reichmark

[​IMG]

1936-A .900 Silver 5 Reichmark
    [​IMG]