German language article about a hoard of aurei!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Aug 16, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Most common aurei sell for 10K+++

If, I ever would find such a treasure, all of them would end up in my collection:happy: I would consign duplicates/ to auction....use that $ to buy rare mint state Dukats!

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

In FDC condition. Most of the ones in this hoard had been circulated, some heavily. I would say a good average value for the aurei in this hoard would be $2000-3000.

panzerman and Petavius like this.
  4. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Very good & important point. The UK compensates finders at full market value, which I think is both the Right Thing to Do, and the best way to ensure archaeological finds are reported. They end up in big piles in museums because they are effectively free. I'd say $5m is a reasonable low-ball estimate for the hoard. I bet the museum would prefer to spend at least part of that on other things, but the coins can't be sold or exported. It's a perverse outcome that they end up in a heap in a museum vitrine where they can't be seen or appreciated.

Petavius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  5. Lolli

Lolli Active Member

List of the number of coins from different emperors in the hoard with average weight and weight standard.
    At the bottom of the vessel some aurei ware baked in and they think that they were the only unsearched aurei. There are several rare or unique aurei in this hoard and you can be sure that they are authentic such a pedigree adds value.

Attached Files:

Theodosius and Petavius like this.
  6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Most German states apply what is called the Schatzregal principle: If you find something valuable, and there is nobody "in sight" who lost it, the public - i.e. the state - is the owner. (The state of Bavaria does it differently, and several states have at least somewhat more generous compensation regulations.) Not sure about Rhineland-Palatinate - where the city of Trier is - in 1993, but these days, if you use a metal detector, you usually have a Monument Protection Board license, learn about the Dos and Don'ts, and cooperate with them. The director of the museum's numismatic collection, Karl J. Gilles (died just a few weeks ago), was part of that pretty good cooperation in Trier by the way.

Side note: Earlier this year there was a curious case in the state of Saxony (no detector use without authorization, and if you keep/steal a find, you may even go to prison) - the detectorist did not have a license but gave his finds to the local archives in Auerbach. The city was delighted, one of the coins was a so-called
    Pfahlschildgroschen from the area and from the 1400s, partly damaged, not very valuable but still nice to find and have.

However, the man also informed the state's Archeological Office - he figured that he would not get a fine then. (Indeed, he was merely asked to get a license and help the archeologists.) The "funny" part is, the A.O. then contacted the city, and the archives in Auerbach had to hand the coin over to the state ...

Christian

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That's fascinating, @Roman Collector ! Thank you for posting it. When a large cache of rare coins is found, how does it effect the value of the ones that are already on the market and in personal collections?

9. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

How does one go about buying the book
    that catalogues each individual coin. It would
    be a nice addition to the library. Any info
    would greatly be appreciated!! I tried the
    web site with no luck.

10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Have you already tried the website of the museum shop? See here: http://www.landesmuseum-trier-shop.de/produkte/6024852/. They appearently do international shipping.

11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Orielensis Thank you very much!!
    I tried several times to reach this page
    but was unable to. I hope PayPal or
    Credit Card is accepted.

Orielensis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted