German Empire Coins Are Awesome

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by vtvick777, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mynter

Mynter Active Member

My latest acquisition : German East Africa, 10 Heller, 1910. The design of this coin was partially a side - effect of the design contest for the 25 pfennig wich was issued from 1909 - 12. The center - hole did not pass through the jury, as it was regarded as primitive and unworthy for an educated european to use. Frenchies and others though... For Africa it was good enough in any case. The prewar - issues og German East Africe where in fact legal tender untill 1923.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

This little pfennig is a rarity within the series.

It is the 1902 mintmark J, (minted in Hamburg), of which only 150 specimens were struck.

I've had two experts over the years look at it - both agreed it is a genuine coin. I'm happy with that.

Attached Files:

Derick likes this.
  4. vtvick777

vtvick777 Member

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:German Empire coinage can have some great engraving and more than One per year+ denotations penny's-pfennig-Mark $ copper silver and gold .as Germany had a lot of areas like state + each had its own design+ learning them all could take a life time as there are so many. trying gaining that knowledge from the USA for each hamlet,state or region is not an easy task.as the pass holds hide secrets that were not secrets in 1700-1921 but today we can find the knowledge via internet :kewl::secret: good friends in Germany who share there info with us.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I can see why. Great coin Eduard!

7. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is one I think Greg will like: 1 Mark 1894 G (Kalrsruhe mint)

A scarce issue in good condition.

Attached Files:

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Beautiful example of the 1894 G. They are not easy to find in nice grades! Love it.

This is one of my favorite designs on any coin.

10. John14

John14 Active Member

Ripley, have you been going through my safe again? LOL :smile

11. Mynter

Mynter Active Member

Good thing you did not buy the shop- keeper. :D Lovely coin !!

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Thank you for the nice posts. Fantastic coins.

13. John14

John14 Active Member

IMAG0526-horz.jpg
    Didn't realize this would load so small.
    Just move your mouse over it.

IMAG0545-horz.jpg
    PhotoScaped this today.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

15. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

It's an exchange of information that goes both ways and presents a chance for all involved to learn something.

16. mkivtt

mkivtt Well-Known Member

Keep in mind none of those coins are slabbed. Unless you know what you're looking at, or are buying lower-end coins, there is no guarantee what you'll get is real. For some reason the Europeans don't do the whole slabbing thing (yet).

17. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I think this a good thing. This forces collectors to always buy the coin and not the slab.

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Umm, MA-Shops is a platform, not a single dealer. Maybe some of the sellers actually offer their coins in US-type slabs - I don't know, and frankly, I will not buy a slabbed piece. Fortunately most dealers over here guarantee the authenticity of what they sell.

Christian

19. Coinfreak1996

Coinfreak1996 New Member

I like german empire coins very much!!!!
    here is one of my favorites

IMG_0818[1].jpg IMG_0819[1].jpg

20. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Love it! Looks like some toning going on.

21. John14

John14 Active Member

One of the reasons I like German Empire coinage so much is the history behind them. Ludwig III (son of Prince Luitpold of Bavaria & Archduchess Augusta of Austria) took over as King of Bavaria from Otto (son of Maximilian II & Marie of Prussia, brother of Ludwig II ). – King Otto (who was insane) was allowed to keep his title, until he died in 1916. During this brief time Bavaria had two kings.
    1914D3Mark-horz.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted