German East Africa Tabora Mint Emergency Coinage 20 Heller: what to look for

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JTL, Jan 8, 2019.

1. JTL

JTL Member

Hi-

I’m looking to get a German East Africa 20 Heller piece from the WW1 era Tabora mint emergency coinage issue. Any advice on what to look for so as to avoid fakes? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

These coins come in several different varieties, with the most common types being available for $20 or less for decent examples. Almost all are weakly struck on crude planchets, so even Unc/AU examples can look VF.

I have never seen a fake one, but I suppose someone could try to fake the rare and scarcer varieties. If you are just looking to get one for the type, then look for what Krause calls B-obverse, B-reverse in brass. The B-obverse stands for the "little crown" and the B-reverse stand for 2 pointed L's on "HELLER" (as opposed to A-rev, 1 curled L and C-rev, 2 curled L's). Nice copper versions look great, but the brass is a lot more common (5 to 1? 10 to 1?).

Here are a couple of average/typical ones I had a few years ago. Brass first, copper next, both B/B.

IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2875.JPG IMG_2880.JPG IMG_2881.JPG

alurid likes this.
  5. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, here is an "A" obverse (Large crown):
    IMG_2870.JPG
    Here is an "A" reverse (one curled L and one broken tip L):
    IMG_2873.JPG
    And here is the "C" reverse (2 curled L's)--all with this reverse are fairly scarce to rare:
    IMG_2877.JPG

Bayern likes this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here is another example. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity.

German East Africa 20 Heller 1916 rev.jpg
    German East Africa 20 Heller 1916 obv.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted