German Bills

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Illinois Newby, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Found these in Dad's collection and don't know what they are or if they are worth keeping, selling, or what. Anyone have suggestions

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Sorry, but I don’t collect foreign notes and know very little about them.

It’s possible @lettow knows something about them.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I do know you can't swing a metaphorical dead cat without hitting one of those notes at a Pennsylvania flea market, many of them crisp uncirculated.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I have a bunch of German inflationary notes but have never pursued them. I did do a paper on the inflationary period in high school for which I got an A+ but it was not so much about notes as the cause and effects. But that a loooong time ago in a galaxy, far, far away.

George McClellan likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm betting the words "Treaty of Versailles" appeared.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

There is not much value to them. Maybe a buck each. Not much upside and no downside to keeping them.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

If you keep collecting them, they can be used to tell the story of a hyperinflation event. There are SOOOO many different ones to collect.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. OK, sort of what I expected to hear. Dad was in Europe during WW II and he probably picked them up and just kept them. Thanks for the information.

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The blue 100 mark note is a design originated in the late 19th C, when it worth serious money at the time. Therefore the design and printing were of high quality. Similar high quality design notes exist for 5, 10, 50 and 1000 marks, all were casualties of the inflation and became worthless.
    Despite their very modest current collector value they are worth a place in any collection as handsome pieces of paper money.
    Notes dated after 1919 decreased rapidly in quality while increasing hugely in denomination.
    A 100 millliard (a milliard is an American billion in Europe) had an exchange value of 10 pfennigs when the currency was stabilised in 1924.. The highest value inflation notes were 1 Billion and up, a US trillion. Most of these were exchanged for new mark notes at the rate of 1 billion to one, and are now rare and sought after.

tommyc03 and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  12. Thanks for the information, I will probably keep the notes just because they were from Dad.

mikenoodle and tommyc03 like this.
  13. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

The top one is a German Imperial 100 mark. It is dated 1910 but issued from 1910 to 1922. I have one in my collection and it is one of my favorite banknote designs. The other three are from 1923 and, as is previously mentioned, inflation notes. Joel Anderson has a very good link for giving perspective to the inflation at his website, joelscoins.com Here it is: http://www.joelscoins.com/exhibger2.htm

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Yes, that 100 Imperial has a panzerschiff von der Keigsmarine am der back!
    Einer das grosse Boot to confound the Verdammt English!

Draft saved Draft deleted