GEORGE III GUINEA ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charitycoincollector, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Morning all,

I have this coin that at first glance appears to be a George III gold guinea coin dated 1787 however I've had it tested and the coin is only 18ct not 22ct as would be expected. It measures 2.9cm in diameter and weighs approx 8g but this includes the loop at the top as coin has been altered to be used as a pendant.

My guess was a gold plated token or some sort of fantasy coinage but the testing machine identified it as genuine 18ct gold so this has become a bit of a mystery. I've included photos below if anyone can shed any light on this that'd be great. IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1357.JPG

johnmilton likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

It is a contemporary counterfeit - counterfeiting of all British coinage was rampant in the late 18th-early 19th centuries, partly due to a general shortage of coin.

As the counterfeit 1/2 Pennies found ready acceptance in commerce, and little initial reprisal from authorities, the number of counterfeiters multiplied, as did their targets, which extended to silver and gold coin - it was at this point that authorities took note, and started cracking down.

Eventually, substantial, standard coinages in the early 19th century largely remedied the problem, although counterfeit silver is readily encountered right up to the reign of KEVII.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There were a lot of fake George III "Spade" guineas struck in brass as 19th century gaming tokens, but this looks like somewhat better work than some of those.

I think you're on target there. It doesn't seem to be a genuine guinea, but was it struck in gold or just plated in 18K gold, as you said? I suspect the latter.

Just because it's maybe not a real guinea (or maybe not solid gold, either, and just plated), doesn't make it worthless, though. That's a vintage piece of jewelry, for sure. Victorian or Edwardian, I'd say, judging from the mount. Last coin I had with a mount like that was a Victoria farthing. I'd date this jewelry item to no later than 1910-ish, probably, at a guess, and likely earlier, from the 19th century. So it likely has at least some value as an antique jewelry item. How much? Not for me to say. You'd have to find auction results for similar items.

Neat piece.

Charitycoincollector likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is a genuine example of the "spade guinea." There is a note in the Spink British coin guide that one should be aware of counterfeits dated 1799.

1798 Guinea All.jpg

Charitycoincollector likes this.
  6. Yeah it's solid 18k gold rather than plated had to test it three times just to be sure. Its a very cool piece presumably made specifically for jewellery purposes.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, now, that’s interesting. Must be a relatively early jewelry piece. Very cool, indeed.

I can tell you’re a Brit by the “jewellery” spelling. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted