George H.W. Bush $1 release date: will there be a proof? an S-mint?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CoinCorgi, Nov 14, 2020.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The release date for the George H.W. Bush presidential $1 coin has been announced.

Dec. 4 — George Bush Presidential dollars in 25-coin rolls, 100-coin bags or 250-coin boxes of circulation-quality coins, from either the Denver or Philadelphia Mint; rolls are priced at $34.50, bags at $117.50 each, and boxes are priced at $289.75.

Dec. 21 — 2020 Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal set – George H.W. Bush, pricing unavailable.

The $1 Coin and Spouse Medal set will be P mint (per mint website).

So far the 2020 proof sets don't have the presidential $1 in them.

Therefore the Silver proof set which is being released next month is the only possible way for the mint to produce an S-mint/Proof version of the presidential $1. So far though, they have not provide a list of contents or price for this set (per mint site 2020-11-14).

Dec. 10 — 2020-S Limited Edition Silver Proof set, maximum release 50,000 sets, $201; the set contains in .999 fine silver the Roosevelt dime, five 2020-S America the Beautiful quarter dollars, Kennedy half dollar and American Eagle silver dollar, all struck at the San Francisco Mint with the S Mint mark.

quotes from Coin World

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dima

Dima Member

I hope they do release a proof variant. And ideally, available for sale stand-alone. I know it's not a super popular series, but I rather enjoyed the simplicity of the designs and historical value. I've put aside a proof of each of them so far. Didn't manage to get my hands on all the reverse proofs though...

CoinCorgi likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I want one of the dollar coin. I gave up on the gold.

Cheech9712 and CoinCorgi like this.
  5. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I hope there will be a proof. I typically do not collect U.S., coins later than 1964 but I came across a complete set of proof presidential dollars in the Dansco album for $39, so I bought it. Now I HAVE to keep adding ...

6. CoinCorgi

I wonder if @Conder101 has any info in his massive brain! ;)

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have the same problem. I have a complete Dansco made for the grandkids with P, D and proof of each President. I can’t have an empty hole in the Dansco!!! It would eat up my OCD.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Why, if we are this close to the release date, isn't the mint showing the actual coin? The only thing I can find is a mock-up with a photo of Bush and text about the reverse. Is this going to be, "you have to buy the coin before you will know what's on it?"

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Covid crualla........

CoinCorgi likes this.
  10. CoinCorgi

FWIW, from the mint website...
    [​IMG]

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. green18

Shot down during the battle of Midway, It's a miracle he was found. And who the devil jumps out of an airplane on his 90th Birthday? :)

12. CoinCorgi

I also found this...
    2020_GHW-Bush_1-Dollar-Unc_O.jpg

13. Randy Abercrombie

I loved the man. He was so gentile. He was quite the jokester and I read once that he delighted in handing his business card to people late in his life, “George HW Bush, President of the United States”.... Then he would immediately take the card back lamenting they wouldn’t give him any more! I thought that was hilarious.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Thanks.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  15. green18

CoinCorgi likes this.
  16. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Not bad; that is certainly one of the better presidential renditions in the series.

NSP, CoinCorgi and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unless they offer them next year. As long as they strike them before the end of this year they can still sell them, even as an initial offering, next year.

Cheech9712 and CoinCorgi like this.
  18. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Not a single like and it probably took you a while to make this. Ah man:hilarious:

19. CoinCorgi

There is a 2020 Coin and Chronicles Set - George H W Bush coming out this year (2021). There will probably be a proof or reverse proof $1, right? The mint site shows that the set will have P and S mint coins in it.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/2020-coi...ker-bush-20PA.html?cgid=2021-product-schedule

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Randy Abercrombie

Dang.... I’ll have to buy that. My OCD nature demands that my Dansco’s be correct.... Darnit.....

CoinCorgi likes this.
  21. JDcompy

JDcompy Chief Inspiration Officer

Sorry to revive a dead thread - but I have been searching all over.. IS there a proof? Or ONLY a reverse proof? I can't find a "regular" proof anywhere :/

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted