Genuine Nero Denarius?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by EdChancellor, Jan 26, 2020.

1. EdChancellor

EdChancellor New Member

Hi all! I know this is quite a commonly faked Nero type, so just wondered what other people's thoughts are on it before I put in an offer? Real or fake?

Thanks, Ed

Attached Files:

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I would be very cautious. The legends are soapy, and there the surface looks pitted - both indications of casting

EdChancellor likes this.
  4. EdChancellor

EdChancellor New Member

Thanks a lot, will avoid :)

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I think its genuine Ed, althoug worn.
    Who's the seller ? weight and diameter please.

nero 1 vz.jpg

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It looks typical of many Nero denarii, so I am with @Andres2. I believe it to be genuine, but weight would be most helpful.

7. EdChancellor

EdChancellor New Member

The seller is called nrp3000 and they havent given a weight and diameter in their listing (another reason I'm a bit wary)

8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

It looks like it could be genuine, but there is no way I would buy it from just the photo alone. I'd want to see it in hand first.

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's a seller you don't know. There isn't enough info to make a decision. You're having misgivings. I wouldn't buy it.

It's not like Nero denarii are rare if you're not in the market for a specific type. They are pricey only because there is a much higher demand for them than for antoniniani of Volusian or Faustina I. On any given day the well-heeled collector could buy a hundred of them. No exaggeration.

You'll never be happy with this coin. Save your money and watch auctions and v-coins. You'll find one you can be happy with if you're patient.

EdChancellor likes this.
  10. EdChancellor

EdChancellor New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! Since I'm here, I wonder if there are any denarius sellers you might recommend? :)

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lots of them. This is just a partial list of retail dealers I trust and in no particular order. Many (but not all) will have coins of Nero in stock at any time:

Incitatus Coins
    Marc Breitsprecher, Classical Numismatist
    Victors Imperial Coins
    Forum Ancient Coins
    London Ancient Coins
    Moneta
    Athena Numismatics
    Romae Aeternae Numismatics
    Ken Dorney
    Sphinx Numismatics
    Romanorum

Orfew likes this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..looks legit to me..maybe a little porus...i've got one like it...maybe even a a die match..mines 2.95 gms and 17 mm.. Nero's 002.JPG Nero's 004.JPG

Marsyas Mike and Andres2 like this.
  13. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

They are getting better and better at faking AGE... and with certain venues almost encouraging the sale of forgeries "buyer beware" has to kick in with any doubt unless you are a gambler.

Making a living faking a $50 coin would seem unlikely, but like Josey Wales said "dying aint much of a living" They are out there ...I bought a $20 Trajan denarius
    that I didn't look at it real close(because he is so common) later found out under magnification that it was cast. I was shocked!

Draft saved Draft deleted