Genuine Caracalla?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Oct 27, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

This denarius of Caracalla is offered to me privately (first coin).
    But I found on acsearch same denarius from the Naumman auction, whether it's a die match or a cast copy? Thank you.
    Caracalla.jpg
    2092018.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's not a cast copy because the flan shapes (and other things) are different. While the coin does look a bit porous, that doesn't necessarily mean it is a modern fake. The reverse of the subject coin is weakly struck but I'm not sure I'd call it "soapy" (which is a description used when the junction of the devices to the fields are not sharp).

The reverses are die matches and the obverses are not a match. I suspect the coin in question is authentic.

Here's the outline of the Naumann coin overlaid on the coin in question:

CT-GogiliCaracallaOverlay.gif

Also, looking at the letterforms and style, I bet the same hand carved both dies, at least for the legends.

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ditto

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's very likely authentic because one of the dies (the reverse) is a die-match, whereas the obverses of the coins were struck with different dies. That's not something a forger is likely to do for a coin of (relatively) low value.

If you're interested, here are the five examples in the British Museum collection.

Justin Lee, gogili1977 and TIF like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not a die match for sure, and I don't believe it's a fake.

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Appears to be authentic...

Draft saved Draft deleted