General Question

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sakata, Mar 11, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I have a large box of crown-sized silver coins, mostly late 20th century. I rarely look at them because they are safely stored away in a safe deposit box. I've had them for around 7-10 years.

I decided to go through them recently and was shocked at the sizeable increase in catalog value for almost all of them. I had recorded the CV at the time I bought them and not updated it since. Now I know that CV is not the same as market value, but I would assume that the percentage increase in the two is somewhat similar.

Is this a fair reflection on the potential increase in resale value? What is your experience of general price increase for large sterling silver pieces since the 2008 recession? I am talking about coins which require a 2.5x2.5 holder and are in the range of 0.57 to 1.4 ounces of silver.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When were the "catalogs" you're using to look up "values" compiled and printed?

Silver dipped below $10/oz in late 2008, and soared into the 30s and 40s just a few years later. Those changes may well have swamped any changes in actual numismatic value.

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

All were taken from the current version of Numismaster at the time I bought the coin or the current value as of last week.

I am aware of the price fluctuations. The lowest I bought silver at was about $9.80 spot (I paid around $11.50 with premium if I remember correctly.) and the highest I sold at was $47.50.

Draft saved Draft deleted