General question about grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barney McRae, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

This is not a coin I have, nor intend to own. I see this frequently and I even own a couple with the same condition. What causes lighter halos around the devices. This is a perfect example of the question I'm asking. Particularly pay attention to the stars. I have my suspicions, but I don't want preconceived notions affecting the answers forthcoming. Thanks! halo.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Chances are the coin has been rubbed with an abrasive. The areas inside the stars and the devices are protected. Therefore they have the original mint frost still intact.

Robidoux Pass and Barney McRae like this.
  4. Barney McRae

I do not see the tell tale hairlines in either fields or devices. What method would have caused this effect?

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The hairlines might not be visible because of the angle of the photo. You can use a soft polishing cloth and make sure you don’t go in the same direction all the time.

Barney McRae likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Your coin has been cleaned. This covers light cleaning up to harsh cleaning. Anytime anything is moved across a coin's surface that is not a liquid, the thing that abrades the surface cannot get into the area where the relief (raised parts) meets the flat field. This causes the color difference you are seeing around the relief. We call it the "halo effect."

Dimedude2 and Barney McRae like this.
  7. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Yes, cleaned or polished plus the lighting/photo angles.

Dimedude2 and Barney McRae like this.
  8. Barney McRae

Thanks, but not my coin. I inherited a couple like this and it baffled me. Now I'll know to avoid anything that has this characteristic. I suspected this and why I didn't mention it in my first post. I love you guys, you are great teachers.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’ll make it simple. It’s from cleaning.

Dimedude2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted