General Grant "If It Takes All Summer" Medal.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Traci281, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this medal? What it's worth would be nice to know but would like to know the history behind it. Thanks!

IMG_2338.jpg IMG_2339.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I found one of these offered on line for $40.00, but don't know anything definite about its history. It very well could be a political campaign token for his Presidency. If I were you I'd look at the political aspect of it. It might ad some value to it.

Bruce

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

That's a campaign medal, and since it's holed not worth too much.

5. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Thanks-I'll do some research on the political aspect of it. Going to hang onto it for now. I think it's neat!
    Traci

6. BUncirculated

It's very neat I think as well.

7. BRandM

You never know BUncirculated, someone with an interest in political memorabilia or a Civil War buff might pay a decent price for a piece like this. It's hard to value a token or medal because there aren't any real price guides available like with coins. As a long time counterstamp and token collector, I've learned over the years that values fluctuate dramatically for this type of material.

Bruce

8. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

I think they should have used the bust on this coin for the new presidential dollar. This one is really nice!

9. BRandM

I agree Mark, I like this portrait better.

Bruce

10. rawbuyer

rawbuyer Member

1868 political token. Fairly common, retail $40-$60

11. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Actually Bruce, you were right! While this medal's actual worth may be only $40-$60, I have had an offer for $150. I turned it down because I really don't need the money that bad and I really like this coin. It does show, though, that this coin's value is what it is worth to someone and not what it's monetary value is. Thank you all for your advice. Can't wait to post more coins!

12. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

What a nice piece. What a Great Man.

13. rawbuyer

rawbuyer Member

Having a hole does not hurt the value. The majority of these tokens were "holed" to suspend from a lapel.

14. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

I have heard that as well, rawbuyer, but wasn't sure. I have several medals that have been "holed" and it's cool to think that a person actually wore this on their lapel over a hundred years ago!

15. rawbuyer

rawbuyer Member

I have collected campaign medals for 25 years, and you are correct..... Holed or not holed makes no difference.

16. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Anyone know the battle referenced by the medal? Which line did he fight on all summer (1863? 1864?)?

17. BUncirculated

The battle of Spotsylvania Court House, May 1864.

18. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Cool - interesting story there.

19. Alden

Alden New Member

He is correct,It is a 1868 Grant for president token fob..I have one in Mint state.The political one's were meant holed for fob.Some were token pins,Fobs and token's.In the civil war token genre,holed is bad unless manufactured holed/fobbed.Political genre,they dont seem to care..Fuld book for Civil war token's/DeWitt&Sullivan for political token's are the 2 book's of each genre that is considered the standard even used by NGC and PCGS grading services.She is smart to keep it,it will rise in value faster than any other numismatic genre.nice one...

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice piece.

21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania were terrible blood baths, and Grant was reassuring Lincoln that in spite of the losses he was going to keep heading south and slugging it out with Lee. And so he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted