General Doubled-Die Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CaptainMac, Jan 18, 2020.

1. CaptainMac

CaptainMac Gotta Love Those Errors and Varieties!

Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know why these coins (in the pictures) are considered legit doubled-die's, and not worthless doubling such as mechanical doubling? From what I can see, they mostly look like mechanical doubling, but they are in the CherryPickers' Guide, so they are noteworthy, which leads me to believe they are legit doubling. I understand why worthless doubling is considered worthless, and what the examples look like, but these just looked similar to a mechanical double. If someone could answer if and/or why these are legit doubling, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also, if my question is confusing, just ask and I will try to clarify best I can.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

When the die was made, the working hub was shifted slightly causing doubling on the working die. This didn't happen very often and that's why certain true doubled dies are desirable.

MD occurs when the die shifts in the fixture while the planchet is struck. This is a set up problem with the equipment, not a die problem. This happens a lot more often and that's why MD is considered a worthless error.

Read about it on www.doubleddie.com under the worthless doubling tab

ldhair and CaptainMac like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It takes time to learn the difference but the first thing I noticed is they are not flat and shelf like in appearance. Here is a 1939 Jefferson Nickel with a true Doubled Die on the reverse.

It's worn but the doubling still stands out. It is most notable in MONTICELLO and FIVE CENTS. It should be in your Red Book as well.
    IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3584.JPG IMG_3589.JPG

5. CaptainMac

That is an awesome find, and I appreciate the answer and example! But why are the doubled-die's I have from the book considered that? They look more like mechanical doubling errors rather than a true DD.

6. Collecting Nut

MD is flat and shelf like. The photos you attached do not look like that. It really takes time.

CaptainMac likes this.
  7. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

MD causes the reduction of the effected devices.

CaptainMac likes this.
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's because it is a picture of a coin (2 dimensional) rather than an actual coin (3 dimensional). When you look at 2 specimens side by side, it will become much more obvious. If you have an actual "mechanical" doubled coin, take it to a LCS & ask to compare it to a true "doubled die". Then you will say: Oh, now I get it!

Welcome to CT & happy collecting!

Danomite and CaptainMac like this.
  9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

10. CaptainMac

Thank you for the answer, I'll do that soon enough here, and thanks for the welcome!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

So do I and it was under $10.00, a great buy!

Islander80-83 likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you think these are confusing and seemingly contradictory , stay away from the single squeeze DD coins as they are only hubbed once, so they can't really be doubled dies, but the experts of that time did the fairy dance ( as how could they continue if there was no doubled die coins) and so they became such. Wexler and Flynn call them class IX ( only VIII existed before for double squeezed) and called them "Only God Knows", and certainly not me :) IMO. Jim

CaptainMac and Oldhoopster like this.
  13. CaptainMac

Haha, I enjoyed reading you're response and that is so interesting, that makes more sense as to why these would be in the book. Thanks for answering!

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Actually this happened after 1986 when Single hubbing started for some dies, now all of them are. Jim

CaptainMac likes this.
  15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Always look at the ends of letters - you should see doubling at the points.
    There are lots of doubled dies in the Morgan Dollar series - especially on the reverse wreath. So common that they aren't collectible unless from a rare VAM.

CaptainMac likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted