Gela_Sicila legend

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Postumus, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Postumus

Postumus New Member

While working on photographing and up dating descriptions I became curious about the letting used on some Ca. 490-475 BC, Didrachm rider/man-headed bull. On the man-headed bull side most all the coins have a very simple set 4 or 5 letters in various positions around the coin [above bull, split above and in front of bull, below] simple.

My question is about the very first letter; which is followed in Greek letters with an E L A, and sometimes with a sigma. In some case the first letter is clearly a gamma (makes sense). However, there are many coins that start with what the references call a "C" that looks like a smooth crescent or an angular crescent. I will try to attach a couple of example photos, but that fails, there are many examples on Wildwinds and Acsearch.
    The question? I may be totally missing something but there is no "C" shaped Greek letter. The use of gamma along with the above letters clearly identifies the city so why the "C", or is it a "C" as sited in the references [i.e. Jenkins]

Carpe Diem

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

It is important to remember that whatever the symbol used, the sound was always the same, so it was not pronounced Cela.

Different symbols were used for gamma and the symbols were taken over from the phoenicians. So sometimes gamma was symbolised with a letter similar to C and that's how it arrived in the Latin alphabet...

1333px-Phoenician_alphabet.svg.png

Draft saved Draft deleted