Gebal the holy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Oct 25, 2017.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I'm a sucker for interesting coins and this one has many intetesting attributes: Greek and Phoenician script, biblical king, obscure deity, minted in one of the oldest cities in the world....
    The ruler is Antiochus IV Epiphanes which means “illustrious one” or “god manifest”. The Jews however had another name for him, Epimanes which means the "mad one".
    A revolt broke out when a conflict arose from the Hellenists that accepted pagan practices and the Greek culture and the traditionalist that were faithful to the Mosaic Law and the old ways. Being Greek himself Antiochus outlawed Jewish rites and worship, ordering the Jews to worship Zeus rather than Yahweh. He raided the temple in Jerusalem, stealing its treasures, setting up an altar to Zeus, and sacrificing swine on the altar. When the Jews expressed their outrage over the profaning of the temple, Antiochus responded by slaughtering a great number of the Jews and selling others into slavery. He also ordered Jews everywhere to sacrifice to pagan gods and eat pig flesh.
    In 167BC, Judas Maccabaeus led the Jews in a series of victories over the military forces of the Syrian-Greeks. They expelled Antiochus and the Seleucids, after which they cleaned and restored the temple. He is referenced in the bible in a few places namely Daniel 9:27, 11:31, & 12:11.

The reverse depicts the Phoenician god El as a six winged deity. The Phoenician translates to "of Gebal the holy". He was the main god of Byblos formerly Gebal prior to Hellenization after Alexander the Great conquered the area. Typically hard to make out on these especially with the dimple, this is the best image I could find.
    20171025_131032.jpg
    He is the legendary founder of Byblos. He was also known as Kronos to the Greeks. The thing he is holding is a was-scepter, it was a symbol of divine power and an emblem of authority. One of the most important Egyptian Symbols and was depicted being held by ancient Egyptians, Pharaohs, images of gods and goddesses and Priests. The was-sceptres linked the divine power of the Pharaohs with the power of the ancient Egyptian gods and became one of the most famous emblems of Egyptian authority and kingship.
    Some fun facts about it:
    - First represented in the first dynasty
    - Related to the staff called the 'heqa' that was used by Egyptian shepherds to control their animals
    - The staff stood for dominion and wellbeing
    - The rod was perceived as a magical tool could fight the demons of the Underworld
    - The staff was often composed of alternating bands of blue and gold
    - The rod appeared as a decoration on funerary equipment
    - The length of the staff varied but it originally measured about six and a half feet in length
    images-3.jpg

The coin was minted in Byblos and has a claim of being the oldest continuously inhabited city dating back 7000 years. It began as a Canaanite city with ties to Egypt and later inhabited by Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans. Because papyrus was important to trade, the Greeks took the name of the city as their word for book "biblos". I assume Antiochos choose these symbols to appease the locals he ruled over even using Phonician language on it. Btw if any one knows a good way to copy and paste Phoenician characters I would be grateful.

g283.jpg
    Antiochus IV
    Mint: Byblus
    168 to 164 BC
    Obvs: Antiochus radiate and diademed right, dotted border.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY, Phoenician script "of Gebal" above El, "the holy" in exergue. Six-winged Kronos-El standing left holding was-sceptre, dotted border.
    AE 21mm, 6.01g
    Ref: SC Vol. 2 1444.1

TIF, dadams, randygeki and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Awesome coin and great write up!

David@PCC likes this.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Super interesting historical tie in!

An interesting god, six wings?

Wow.

John

David@PCC likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Interesting coin, alright, and super interesting writeup!

David@PCC likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Very cool coin and write up!

David@PCC likes this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, what a great coin! I don't remember ever having seen one before, but I suppose that may just be that I didn't realize how interesting the type is.

I believe Antiochos IV was also the one who got scared away from Egypt by the consul who drew a "line in the sand" around him. "If you don't agree to leave Egypt before you cross that line, you become Rome's enemy." (He decided it was best not to be Rome's enemy.)

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 9.14.41 PM.png

8. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Superb historical and biblical write-up. The coin is listed on Wildwinds under Antiochos IV. Houghton 696. Congrats..

David@PCC likes this.
  9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

They don't come around very often. Yes that is true, he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Btw what is the size of your coin? I have yet to get one of the Egyptianizing series.

Thank you. That one actually has the kings name on the obverse, but it is very close and gives a better image of El that I usually see.

7Calbrey likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool coin!

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

It's 19mm, 7.96g, issued c. 169-8 BC... right when all the action was. (The line-in-the-sand episode was in 168, I just checked.)

David@PCC and dadams like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted