GD you finally did it...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sylvester, Jul 24, 2005.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

You've set everyone off! Well actually you didn't because i kinda wanted a real on of these for a while but i have to admit you keep posting pictures of these nice ducats was not going to help me.

I want your opinion on this, i saw it but as you know this really isn't my area of expertise, but what with my new collection of 1780s European royal mugshots it's got to be a good as any excuse for me to finally get one.

Here's the info;

Description as

"Austria Joseph II gold 2 Ducats 1786 AU53 ICG. KM# 2088. Very scarce. NOT A RESTRIKE"

(This is not from ebay but from somewhere else, i won't say where because i don't want you going in there and buying it! :D The dealer does have good feedback though)

Slabbed... yeuk.

But the photos are awful. (Even by my standards)

[​IMG]

being sold for £335

Well what do you think? Worth it or not?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sylvester

sylvester New Member

My first thoughts are that it's overgraded, AU... no way. High VF or low EF maybe.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's a beauty ;) Price is about right - grade might be too but as you say the pics are not the best. I'd say it's at least XF. If it were me I'd go for it - it's a lot less common than the 1 ducat, mintage is only 58,000.

5. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I managed to get a look at the page in the Krause thanks to a CP member, the price seems bang on and looking at the photo of the one in the Krause and comparing i can begin to get an idea of what the coin should look like in top condition and thus i can fine-tune my grading a bit. I believe i was a little harsh at first, i now concur on EF.

I like it and i think i'm gonna take it. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted