Featured Gavin's Twelve Caesars!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Yes, I suspect that in the next few years I will probably look for middle bronzes of those two. They aren’t cheap but well within my budget if I am patient.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Excellent job @Gavin Richardson

I like your set better than the 95 000 $ one we've seen recently here, it has much more of a personnal character.
    For the records I realized I had a 12 Caesars set once completed : before I bought the Vitellius I had really no idea (I mean really) I was about to achieve the 12, silly me

[​IMG]

Q

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Always like your set! Gorgeous coins.

Cucumbor likes this.
  5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

@Cucumbor Your set is stunning.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy my set for $95,000 I am selling. :pompous::pompous::pompous:

6. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Excellent, Gavin - a great selection - congratulations!

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

May I ask what the difference is? I know that the term "Twelve Caesars" is a reference to Suetonius's work, but I have no idea when it started being used to refer to a particular set of coins. Do the coins all have to be of the same kind, like all gold or all denarii or all bronze or all provincial or all Roman imperial? Thanks.

(As for me personally, I have no coins from Julius Caesar, Caligula, Galba, or Otho, and have only a bronze coin of Claudius, with denarii for the other seven. And unless I ever get to the point of being able or willing to spend close to $1,000 on an individual coin, I doubt I'll ever have coins from all twelve. Not that that's ever been a particular goal of mine.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You are correct. The reference is to Suetonius' work. The set can be whatever you want it to be. All one metal or mixed. Or all Imperial, all provincial or mixed. It's your collection after all.

Gavin Richardson and DonnaML like this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

So would I

Q

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  10. Voyager

Voyager New Member

Some deeo stuff going on here. Hope I can post soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted