Gaucher de Chatillon Sterling Imitation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Gaucher of Chatillon. Silver Sterling, 1313-1322 (18mm, 1.13g). +GALCHS COMES PORC, Crowned bust of Edward facing. / MON ETN OVA YVE, Long cross, three pellets in each divide. Mayhew 247. R1. Fine, wavy flan.

Gaucher Chatillon imitaton sterling.png
    Photo used with the permission of Holding History

“ In May 1299 the Statute of Stepney (Statutum de falsa moneta) was issued. This legislation reiterated earlier bans on the import of foreign coin and prohibited the export of all silver coins, plate and bullion.” From Continental Sterling Imitations

This legislation was crafted to address a problem. The coinage of England was known to be of very good quality. The problem was that the continent was copying the designs of the English coinage but with much less quality than the originals. Europe was copying the English pennies in great quantities in debased silver. The first of these lacked a crown on the obverse portrait and were referred to as ‘crockards and pollards’. On crockards the bust wore a circlet of rosettes instead of a crown. On pollards there was no headgear at all. Later issues did include the portrait with a crown. My new acquisition is one of these later imitations. It is imitating a penny of Edward I.

Since I read an article on these imitations about 2 weeks ago I have wanted to find an example of this interesting and historical coinage.

Please post your medieval coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Interesting coin with a good write-up. Congrats!

4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Neat! What are some specific examples of the crockards and pollards? Is there a full list of sterling imitations?

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cool addition & nice write-up!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. Orfew

Milesofwho likes this.
  7. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is probably the best resource for continental imitations, though you have to have an idea of what you are looking for to identify your coin.

The standard reference work is Sterling Imitations of Edwardian Type by Nicholas Mayhew. The book was first published in the 1980s, has been out of print for a while, and can be expensive to buy.
    John II of Avesnes .jpg
    John II of Avesnes AR Sterling Crockard type 1280-1304 AD Mons mint
    18mm 1.21g
    Obv: +IOH COMES HANONIE Facing bust waering chaplet of roses.
    Rev: MONETA MONTES; Long cross with three pellets in each quarter.
    Mayhew 34

8. Orfew

Nice Crockard @TheRed Some of these are quite rare.

9. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i was just looking at his coins in the French dept...

11. Orfew

Where was this?

12. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Thanks Orfew, your coin is a real gem. These continental imitations are really interesting, and I would love to devote more energy and time to collecting them.

Orfew likes this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ebay. i had put a french coin in my watch folder(Henry Vl) from him and it had expired..:) i'm looking for a Louis XVl.

Draft saved Draft deleted