Gassing coins -AT

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Nov 9, 2018.

1. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Here's a real toned Jeff, from sitting for 30+ years in a proof set where the lenses were split apart years ago ( by me, I don't remember why I did that ). I'm not really into toners, but this one "gots" pretty colors, the pic doesn't do it justice. No gas involved, except maybe trace amounts of residual gas from this poster .:dead:

P4200207c.JPG

Legomaster1, Paul M., robec and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll go to the grave not doing so........

Still up for Melville in December? :)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's looking like I have been scheduled for something else the day of the show. But we'll see.

Old Milwaukee was 50% of my nourishment during college.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Then you were undernourished.......poor fellow. :)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Makes short legs :)

Clawcoins, Oldhoopster and CoinCorgi like this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

8. Del44

Del44 Member

Wish the TPGs would place a chemically reactive label or some other kind of detector in the slab as a tip off for foul play.

C-B-D likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A chemical reactive label would most likely contribute its own reagents to interact with the coin metal. The TPG would then refuse to refund or even replace the label if you claimed you never put it into a reaction processor to AT, but it turned anyway.

They could place a persons slab into a second larger slab I guess.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree that the reactive label wouldn’t work too well. In my opinion, the easiest solution would be to photograph (or scan) all certified coins just like NGC does now. It would not help with older holders, but it would help curb the issue with newer slabs.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Once you exclude canvassed Morgan dollars, I do not believe or accept that premise. WITH Morgans in there, you may have a point.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Kurt, Morgan dollars are the most common, but finding NT album toned coins is easy as pie. Then of course you have classic commemoratives which often developed toning from government packaging, evidenced by tab toning.

I’ve collected almost every series in the 20th Century and I never saw more than a handful of slabbed rainbow toned coins that I thought were questionably toned. In fact, the most commonly QT coin in my experience was the Morgan Dollar.

I’m thinking about starting a new thread about slabbed AT coins. If they are as common as you and Doug say, it should be a long thread.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

It’s not as common as Kurt says and it’s not as rare as you believe. There are enough to fill your thread if we just use Silver Eagles. If we limit it to classic coins (pre-1964), then I agree that it would be difficult to find many examples. The issue is with the more modern toners.

14. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Lehigh, you are on a roll with your consummate snarkiness. Legendary.

Oh. Don’t mind them, ladies and gentlemen. They’re just having the NT vs AT debate again.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  15. Lehigh96

Since they are just bullion coins with no numismatic value so they provide an obvious target for coin doctors. And since they don’t have an established color pattern based on traditional storage methods, the TPGs were quite lenient with what they graded as market acceptable which means there are many QT ASEs in TPG plastic. That said, I think they have finally cracked down on what passes for this series.

Personally, I don’t even factor ASEs into the NT vs AT debate. So just like Kurt wanted to exclude Morgans from the discussion, I think ASEs should also be excluded. Let’s think about how many slabbed AT coins there in between. IMO, they are quite rare.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Ok let’s just take Cents, Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars post 1964. You’ll still be surprised how much can be found.

17. Lehigh96

Really? Who even submits clad coinage for grading?

ldhair likes this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Plenty of people. Or do you want to keep further qualifying your statement?

DE047824-D52A-436D-823A-E971F5C14AE3.jpeg DBE23638-BD15-4247-B924-F55820213429.jpeg C1DCA3D8-537C-468C-B12F-75531244C3FB.jpeg 4E93644F-912A-4A14-AD8C-2D2346923120.jpeg 964B621E-E4F0-4798-BF25-DCAEA0C88D62.jpeg

1F73FEE6-C038-44A5-BE63-5B7F541D879B.jpeg 01A8449B-7562-453D-8EC3-48A3AABE4ED0.jpeg

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Lehigh96

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I can’t prove all of these are AT, but every single one is questionable. Many have the look of being heated or chemically treated. I would expect more than 50% of guesses would call each of those AT/Quest.

21. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

charlottedude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted