Gassing coins -AT

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Nov 9, 2018.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Someone's baking brownies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes true however a sacrifice well worth it...as evidence to the fact of what is real and what isn't. Seems to me this coin didn't die in vain as the play this situation is going to generate is well worth a proof 2000 nickel!
    The person who did this has created a storm that isn't going away any time soon here on CT or on other forum.....so the gig is up and his little scam is now a huge snowball that is going to haunt them for a long time.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Maybe not, crack it out and dip it.

Cheech9712 and Santinidollar like this.
  5. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Even if it was fully original, that coin is far from spectacular, and quite underwhelming. I fail to be wowed or impressed by a coin made just 18 years ago.

C-B-D and Paddy54 like this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

It’s a fairly common coin, so not much harm was done. Plus it may serve a purpose to expose a potential scammer.

And these are quite inexpensive. There is currently an example on eBay for under $20 and one sold for under $5 (older holder too)!

5EA3224E-D0A5-43E9-AD9C-6A7403E4A666.jpeg

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Gassing isn’t destroying the market. Many of the slabs that were gassed are fairly obvious to identify. What is putting pressure on the market includes the questionable toners that are being straight graded. Some of the worst being Silver Eagles:

A2D7C0A5-A2E4-4262-BCF0-CDC93466CF24.jpeg

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

So I have the elephant in the room question here....... There had been several recent threads questioning the permeability of TPG slabs. Is this not definitive proof that they are not? This nickel was gassed while in the slab wasn’t it?

Cheech9712 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't think the TPGs have ever claimed their slabs are impermeable. I've seen this discussed in multiple threads over the years. The consensus was that an impermeable slab would be a bad idea. If nothing else, every time you shipped it by air, you'd be applying stress that might be enough to fracture it.

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh I completely agree. It’s a question that pops up here routinely and that was the basis of my comment.

11. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread. Now Meow sees toned coins in different 'light' (pun) now. Meow suspected some do this for ebay. Meow recalls a seller selling nothing but monster toned Morgan dollars. Meow will stay away from any overly toned coins now after reading this thread.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Morgans are the coins MORE likely to be legit. Modern coins are almost always AT.

Paul M. and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  13. MeowtheKitty

Meow is now getting an idea what to ask for next time at the Vet.

14. MeowtheKitty

But this guy had dozens of them, all monster toned. How can one guy get so lucky?

15. Lehigh96

Listen Meow, he specializes in toned coins, which means he buys them and sells them. Why are you assuming that he was the submitter to the TPG? You shouldn’t do that, he could be a very cool cat.

In fact, I used to specialize in rainbow toned Morgan Dollars and had dozens of them in my inventory. Right meow, I have mostly Registry quality Jeffersons but even some of them have rainbow toning. Eye appeal is paramount and rainbow toned coins will always sell for a premium. Don’t listen to the naysayers on the forums who are scared of a modern widget that was obviously messed with.

Paul M., Evan8 and baseball21 like this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's not a new storm, or a new snowball, it's one that is decades old. Knowledgeable people have known how to gas coins since before coin forums even existed ! The only thing that's new is that there are always those who are just finding out about it for the first time. And no, it's not just done to coins already slabbed. It's been being done to raw coins, that are then cleanly graded, for decades as well.

And as Kurt has said, there are so many artificially toned coins in cleanly graded slabs that it is pathetic ! But the truly pathetic thing is how many there who refuse to believe it !

Paul M., V. Kurt Bellman and Paddy54 like this.
  17. MeowtheKitty

Sorry, Meow did not mean to offend you. Meow is still learning all the ins and outs of coin collecting.

18. Lehigh96

While there are AT coins in straight graded slabs, they are not common as your post would suggest. The overwhelming majority of rainbow toned coins in slabs are NT.

Paul M. and baseball21 like this.
  19. Lehigh96

You didn’t offend me, I just don’t want you to write off toned coins because a bunch of guys with very little experience dealing with toned coins engaged in fear mongering. It’s a big hobby, and you have only scratched the surface.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The one and only thing that is uncommon is the number of people who get caught red handed doing it like the guy in this thread.

And did I mention this group ?

I believe you fall squarely within it.

21. Lehigh96

And again, the coin in this thread would never pass muster with anyone with any experience in toned coins. And speaking of experience, I have bought and sold hundreds of thousands of dollars of toned coins. I am in a much better position to determine the authenticity of toning than you are.

Remember the fear mongerers? You are the club President.

Draft saved Draft deleted