Gassing coins -AT

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

@ddddd good GoogleFu...

I stayed out of the whole USNAF flame-war. Didn't know enough to have an opinion. People I respect came down as saying they're valid.

Besides I need to photo my latest and put it in the holder premium thread...

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That's patently false!!!! Most double sided toners are target toned and are the result of natural toning in a Dansco coin album.

Furthermore, while this particular scam of gassing an already slabbed coin presents a difficult problem, this particular coin does not. I submit that if you posted that coin raw, 9 of 10 collectors would call it AT immediately.

Paul M. and baseball21 like this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This only happens when the public loses faith in the TPGs to weed out the AT from the NT/MA group. Gassing a few high grade modern widgets is not going to accomplish that.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Either you like toned coins or you don't and it's ok either way. The same for buying raw vs graded coins if you think you're safe buying graded over raw....you better think again. I've seen dealers who been in the hobby for decades make bad purchases. There's no guarantee no matter how educated you are that sooner or later you're not going to be taken by a scammer.

DEA and kountryken like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I was told of a medicine given to cats for fur balls ,that is very easy to obtain and placing it in a sealed container with a slabed coin would make it tone.
    I am not going into details here for more than one reason...but again I'm sure that the coin doctors out there have far more failures then success., probably why they choose modern than type coins.
    Every toned coin is toned for a reason.... call environment and where they were or are stored.
    The best advice in buying a coin or coins in general is education.....and again all the books, and all the years of experence are not a safe guard against making a mistake.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I did, you can too.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Gassing already slabbed coins is so trivially easy it borders on the "mass producible". They ARE destroying the market, and frankly, it has DESERVED to be destroyed for quite a few years now. You NEVER see this dreck at major shows any more. It's now primarily the Internet's con job.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Indeed. Never mind messing around with eggs -- generating that gas was one of the first experiments in my Gilbert chemistry set.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

My wife would tell you that I don’t need a chemistry set to generate gas.

Mainebill, DEA, Kentucky and 4 others like this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

Old Milwaukee and a few frozen brussels sprouts and you're as good as there.

13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Hey, that gas works great on tomatoes .
    They go from green to red overnight ..

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup, "maters" go red, silver goes brownish, nickels go green to cyan to blue, cents go bluish, all kindsa stuff.

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I saw this on Facebook as well and was the first to call it out as being AT’ed with a high-pressure sulfurous environment.

Believe it or not, I defended NGC with this one, even before the condemning evidence was unveiled.

Paul M., Clawcoins and C-B-D like this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

I completely agree.

Lehigh96 likes this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

She comlains about me being in the 'Head' for long periods, but the poor girl don't know that I'm saving her.........

18. TypeCoin971793

I saved the pics to actually start a discussion here. I got beaten to the punch.

Anyhoo, here are bigger pics if you are interested

0EDE8150-B834-4882-B5E8-9B9859E7D9B2.jpeg C845101B-F4EC-4908-8943-E51121712117.jpeg

Pickin and Grinin and C-B-D like this.
  19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I just read this thread. My summary: if you like toned coins, store them in Dansco albums on a shelf above the toilet and drink a lot of Old Milwaukee. Oh...and eat your veggies.

Did I get the jist of it?

Mainebill, Stevearino, Evan8 and 2 others like this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin destroyed

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Again, the argument that if you intentionally intend to enhance the rate and intensity of toning , you are ATing as much as using chemicals and gas generator/ mixer and doing AT in a few seconds-minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted