Garage sale

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Norman Asis, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Norman Asis

Norman Asis Active Member

Hello to everyone who are still up and awake! I would like to ask for your advice. We have a community wide yard sale tommorow and Im thinking of selling some of my coins.
    However, I'm not sure how price them.
    Coin condition, year and mintmarks varies
    I have 18 Ike dollars, 49 SBA dollars, 50 Sacagawea dollars, 19 pres dollars and over 50 Kennedy half dollars.

There are plenty of coins that are uncirculated, different finishes and rinse. Am I making the right call here? Hoping to get your opinions thoughts and advice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You need to provide better information on these coins.. Besides the Ike Dollars all the others are probably face value. If there is nothing special about them then why sell them for more money? IMHO

Is the community wide yard sale for fundraising? Donate all of your coins.

4. I would price them at 2x face value and see how it goes. TC

Kentucky and carpman98 like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Ikes, SBAs, and Kennedys have some keys. The pres dollars barring a lettering error not much value if any above face

6. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Having coins at a yard sale held on your property puts you at indefinite risk of an armed home invasion robbery. Never have your address published as a coin collector. Sell only at coin shows and flea markets.

SilverMike, Garlicus and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Took the words from my mouth +1

8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Price them at 20% under face value and watch 'em go!

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Sound advise, I would add that it's never a good idea to use your full name in an open forum ;)

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Absolutely true. I enjoy meeting people who try to harm me. So far it has not ended well for them. I am also late to the party of net security. What many folks grew up with I have learned myself from bad experiences. So far every attempt to hack my life has been through my wife and she has actually had computer training so I must be doing okay for a rookie. Like everyone else I speak from experience and try to be helpful. If I speak up and get ignored I can live with myself. If I think I should have spoken out and don't then bad things happen I feel bad about it.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Couldn't agree more. Just the other day I caught a guy in my garage, he got a really good look at the bore of my .45. Pretty sure he isn't coming back anytime soon.

NSP, dlhill132, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  12. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Odd.

Because I have built my reputation around word of mouth and want to be "put out there" to be able to help those interested or burdened with coins.

13. Norman Asis

I apologize for the lack of detailed info. Majority of the SBAs (P,D,S) are in uncirculated condition. The surface have yellowish color especially on the D mintmarks. There are several coins where the initials on the reverse are barely there. I have a proof S mint mark that contains both type 1 and 2.
    I know. I've been trying to edit it for the longest time but it wont let me on the settings tab. Thanks

14. Norman Asis

Thank you for all the advice. I've decided to hold on to it a little bit longer. I may get ridiculed for saying this but I had a weird feeling akin to separation anxiety.
    I got to coin collecting early this year after trying different things to occupy my time. For some reason roll hunting, checking my pocket change and just looking at these coins calms me down. Especially the SBAs, and the Sacs. I would make special trips to the courthouse since the vending machine still dispense this as change.
    So let me ask you guys, is there a market for these two coins? I have quite a few that are in unc condition and great appeal. I visit heritage site every now and then looking at auction result for both coins and I'm amazed at the how much they sold for. Some of them are just regular Sacs and SBAs, no error nor variety, just its condition and eye catching appeal. I would post some pics when I get home and hopefully you can help me decide which ones are keepers and which ones are spenders. As always, appreciate the feedback, advice and info. Thank you every one.

15. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

That must have been an interesting conversation! Even if it was short lived!

16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You cannot change your name. And the admins won't do it for you. One guy left in a huff last week because the rules say that names can never be changed.

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be selling a Type 2 1979-S SBA at a garage sale. Or is it the 1981? That's even more valuable.
    As for "uncirculated", except for the IKES, if all the other coins are not MS,
    then they are only worth face value.

18. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Just sign up with a new account under a new name, use a another email address, and just stop logging in under Norman Asis. Stupid rule that even admin won't change your name, but it's their website, so the ruling party makes the rules.

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That will get you permanently banned with both accounts.

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

To be fair here, the likelihood of anyone breaking in for the types the OP listed is likely very slim, but the point/advice is still solid.

Unless you happen to be the savior of the universe, and possess the ability to propel the world 1000 years into the future, that is... ;)

I actually kind of miss the entertainment that one offered....

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It's sort of a different story for dealers. Many members here have been to my house and it wouldn't be that difficult to track me down, but I'd prefer to still maintain some level of anonymity.

Draft saved Draft deleted