Garage sale pickup

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, May 15, 2015.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I stopped at a garage sale today. It was an older couple and they had a lot of collectibles, so I asked if they had any coins. They laughed and said, "No, she just sold all her coins not too long ago." So I figured I missed out but mentioned that I mostly collect foreign coins. Well, actually they still had some foreign coins (people never seem to think of foreign coins as coins). She went in the house and came out with an album and two small bowls with coins in them. The album was really nice stuff, mostly from the 1960s from different countries with several silver coins, all of the coins in really high grades. I said they were nice but would cost more than I wanted to pay, but I looked through the bowls and saw some decent coins so I ended up buying them for $7. I was pretty happy when I got home and looked through them. About 6 smaller silver coins and several other coins from countries I collect that I didn't have yet. Also several tokens and a few ancient reproductions. I wanted to share this set of Lundy reproductions. If you don't know the story, in 1929 the man who owned the small British island of Lundy minted his own coins, called the half puffin and puffin. The British were not amused and put a stop to it, but the coins still exist and they are pretty neat. I am fortunate to have one of the original half puffins. These that I got today are a special set that was made in 1965 to commemorate the original owner's purchase of the island. I guess they made 3,000 sets, in three types of metal. I didn't get the gold variety, but I got the other two. I think they're pretty neat, and a nice garage sale find. Scan.jpg Scan2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice buys for $7. I like puffin coins.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Nice! That's some interesting history there!

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I remember you liking the puffin coins. they look cool.

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Great pickup! That set of 4 is around $50.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  7. Hiddendragon

Really? When I saw a few in the bowl I was aware that they were reproduced and didn't really think they were worth anything.

8. Numismat

Yep, individually they sell $10-$15 per coin.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Nice. At the time I made the purchase I didn't get to look at many of the coins and I wasn't even sure if I'd break even value wise.

10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Nice catch, man.

Never seen coins worth buying at a garage sale before, so this makes me think I should go garage sailing soon. Lots of them around this time of year.

11. Hiddendragon

The key was I asked about coins. They didn't have any on display. Sometimes I ask but this is the first time I've ever gotten a positive response.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Nice find! I can't imagine ever running into those around here

13. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I am back to CT after surgery and was wondering if anyone could elborate on the history of the puffin coins? I know I could google it but it just seems better to hear it from another CT member. Thanks in advance.

14. Numismat

The short of it is - rich dude buys an island, island belongs to Britain. Dude makes his own coins in 1929, coins get mixed in as circulating money with official British coins. Dude loses court case.
    The later examples are commems of the originals and did not circulate or infringe on British laws.

Jason Hoffpauir and rooman9 like this.
  15. Hiddendragon

I know you said you didn't want to look it up, but this article isn't too long and explains it well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_Lundy

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  16. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

@Hiddendragon that's a really cool set you picked up! I would never have thought you'd find these at a garage sale!

Just for others to see, I hope you don't mind me posting pics of the original 1929 1/2 Puffin and 1 Puffin coins here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Numismat

Nice set, I don't see too many of them graded :)

18. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

19. Jason Hoffpauir

TY

20. Jason Hoffpauir

21. Hiddendragon

Very nice. My half puffin I was lucky enough to find in my local coin shop's 25 cent bin. It's not as nice as yours but the price is right. Photo is attached. Yours are awesome. Someday I'll focus on getting the 1 puffin to finish my set. 1929 lundy half puffin.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted