[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. robp

robp Well-Known Member

You can do 1464 with an Edward IV light coinage groat (48 grain) struck from heavy coinage dies. On 13th August 1464 the weight of a groat was reduced from 60 grains to 48. The heavy coinage dies had mm. Rose. As long as a die match can be made to a 60 grain coin confirming its use prior to 13th Aug. there is a full seven and a half months to the year end (OS). The light coinage rose marked issue lasted about a year, but there are equally common new dies to replace worn out ones. With the heavy dies continuing to be used into the light coinage these must be contiguous with the weight change which wasn't accompanied by a design change.

I don't have an example, but here is one. Link to the description is https://www.coinarchives.com/d8372df23a308bfc6db61b3b8a4d120d/img/dnw/160/image00779.jpg

[​IMG]

Curtisimo, PaddyB, talerman and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@robp Thank you very much!! that is indeed some fantastic
    research. What does the forum have to say?

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. tibor

@talerman here again some great sleuthing! I think this would be a
    good candidate for 1463, what say the forum?

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Looks good to me. Relevant section of the rules of the thread, posted by @Curtisimo who I guess has the final say:
    "4. The coin should be datable to a specific year by some mark or characteristic. It doesn’t necessarily need to be minted with a written date as long as it can be confidently dated to a year. No date ranges (Ex.: a coin datable to 1630-1636 would not be usable). Feel free to share with us anything interesting about the dating of the coin in your post."

Curtisimo, DEA, Stork and 1 other person like this.
  6. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Agree with Paddy B. Could we count the Islamic coin for both 1462 and 1463 if necessary or is that pushing things too far ?

tibor likes this.
  7. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I agree with both the previous posts. I now see I have an AH 850 Indian coin, which could be 1446 or 1447, so I might be waiting in line again.

Curtisimo and tibor like this.
  8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I would guess that this would be fine, the coin really does date to both years, and it is the calendar difference only.

Kind of like (well opposite) how 2019 is both Heisei (平成) era year 31 AND Reiwa (令和) era year 1 by regnal dating in Japan. The Gregorian year is split/combined based on a valid and recognized alternative calendar dating.

Has @Curtisimo been around lately? He should be the final arbiter of any questions.

edited to add: here is the copy/paste from the OP. Seems very much like it should be allowed.

5. Eastern and other coins that don’t use the Gregorian calendar are fair play even if the year doesn’t align perfectly as long as they are datable to ONE year in that calendar. At the bottom of the post just tell us the closest equivalent date in the Gregorian calendar. (Ex.: 1834/5)

Curtisimo, Chris B and coin_nut like this.
  9. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

A good idea but maybe pushing things a bit too far. I recommend deciding that an AH date equates to one AD date, without more evidence to support otherwise, and holding firm with that. But that could simply be my un-diagnosed OCD speaking. Storks most recent post would seem to support attributing an AH or other dating system to both. I'm game and amenable to a majority decision.

Curtisimo and tibor like this.
  10. tibor

I messaged @Curtisimo regarding our dilemma. Maybe he can
    offer some solutions.

Curtisimo and Stork like this.
  11. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Okay so I have given this a lot of thought. I think that it is fair game to allow the coins that are datable to one year in a non-Gregorian calendar to count for both years that it equates to in the Gregorian calendar as suggested above.

I would like to require that each year have a placeholder post with a coin that is “played” for that year only though. For example you can’t post a coin and say “this is good for 1412 and 1413.” You have to designate your post as one or the other. So if you chose to play that coin for 1412 you have to make another post for 1413, even if it is the same coin/coin-type.

That way there is clarity on the year and one could still read through the thread and identify at least one post for every year.

DEA, Stork, panzerman and 3 others like this.
  12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

OP has spoken, I hear and obey!

Stork and Curtisimo like this.
  13. tibor

With clarification from @Curtisimo , we can start our search and research . With what has been found so far, where exactly do we stand?

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. tibor

00ps

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am still busy with work....
    But, I will check my Islamic material to see if I can help with AH dated coins.
    John

tibor and Curtisimo like this.
  16. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

1465 Göttingen Körtling
    Saxony Horngroschen (Colditz mint)
    Saxony Horngroschen (Freiberg mint) all posted by@tibor

1464 England Edward IV Groat nd but can be confirmed by historical evidence as being struck in 1463 posted by @robp

1463 Mamlouks of Egypt Dinar ashrafi AH 867 (=1462-3) posted by @talerman

Under @Curtisimo's rules I have to post formally this coin again to qualify for 1462, which I now do:

1462 Mamlouks of Egypt Dinar ashrafi AH 867 (=1462-3) Egypt Dinar 867 AH.jpg

I now eagerly await someone, probably @tibor, producing a 1461

Stork, tibor, panzerman and 1 other person like this.
  17. tibor

oopps

panzerman likes this.
  18. tibor

I'm having trouble posting a picture of coin I
    found that would work.:mad::mad:

panzerman likes this.
  19. tibor

still trying

20. tibor

still trying

21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Take your time:happy: I cannot pitch in till 1439!

Draft saved Draft deleted