[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Not here in Ottawa! Its been Winter since November 8th. 260 cm. snow since then, everyday cold. The last real global warming was in 400-1400AD when temps where much warmer then today.

Oxford Punter and tibor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

At least in North America, when the Vikings were farming in Greenland and exploring Newfoundland. However, returning to the main subject of this thread;

1523 Germany Counts of OETTINGEN Joint Issue of Karl Wolfgang & Ludwig XV of Alt-Oettingen and their cousins Martin zu Wallerstein & Ludwig XIV of Oettingen-Flochberg (1522-29) Batzen with reverse with St. Sebastian pierced by arrows

Oettingen Karl Wolf & 3 others Batzen 1523 obv 231.jpg Oettingen Karl Wolf & 3 others Batzen 1523 rev 233.jpg

Stork, Siberian Man, Bayern and 5 others like this.
  4. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

1522 German States, Pfalz-Neuburg Batzen (4 Kreuzer), under joint rulership of brothers Otto Heinrich and Philipp. There are several varieties.
    789A1F28-E674-46BF-A665-488D09AC0C72.jpeg 8E5A2006-B351-4187-876F-8050A91FF370.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  5. talerman

Nice looking little coin in good condition but I don't see reverse and for some reason attachment won't open

Bayern likes this.
  6. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Oops, I somehow deleted the first picture when I was adding something to the text part of the post:sorry: I have just re-added the picture to my post :happy:

7. talerman

Thank you. I like the Pfalz lion.

Bayern likes this.
  8. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Welcome~ and yes, I also like the Pfalz lion :cat:

9. panzerman

Me too:happy:

Bayern likes this.
  10. talerman

1522 Austria Archbishopric of SALZBURG Matthaus Lang von Wellenburg Half Guldiner 1522

Salzburg Matthaus Lang Half Guldiner 1522 obv 234.jpg Salzburg Matthaus Lang Half Guldiner 1522 rev 237.jpg

11. panzerman

Really nice, Salzburg has to be in top ten for most beautifull coins. Maybe our head mint guy here in Canada could take a hint...or learn from the mintmasters back in 1500-1800, when coin designs were truly an artwork. but then we cannot put a Picasso in the same realm as a Da Vinci.

Bayern likes this.
  12. talerman

1521 Here is another even more splendid issue of Archbishop Matthaus:

Austria SALZBURG Matthaus Lang von Wellenburg Medallic 2 Radiana-Guldiner 1521

The reverse depicts St.Radiana with halo between 2 wolves, washing utensils at her feet, behind landscape with trees at l. and Wellenburg Castle at r. According to the legend, Radiana (c.1300) died at Wellenburg Castle after being attacked on her way home by wolves. A chapel built at her burial place became a place of pilgrimage for the poor and the sick. In 1520 Archbishop Matthaus had a Gothic church built there.

Salzburg Matthaus Lang 2 Radiana Guldiner 1521 obv 862.jpg Salzburg Matthaus Lang 2 Radiana Guldiner 1521 rev 863.jpg

rrdenarius, ycon, Stork and 7 others like this.
  13. panzerman

14. talerman

Also from 1521, this much less impressive but interesting little coin

Germany AUGSBURG Struck at the Imperial Mint by Eberhard IV, Count of Eppstein-Königstein Batzen 1521

Apart from the coins of the Bishopric and of the City of Augsburg, there were also coins struck at an imperial mint with a curious history. In 1431 King Sigismund, unable to pay debts of 5450 Gulden, pledged or pawned the three southern Imperial mints of Nördlingen, Frankfurt and Basel to his chamberlain, Conrad XIII von Weinsburg. Conrad became the Imperial Chamberlain after Sigismund was elected Emperor and was invested with the fiefs of the lordships of Falkenstein, Königstein and Münzenberg. His granddaughter Katherine married Eberhard IV of Eppstein and in 1503 inherited the pawned imperial mints. In 1515 the Basel mint was transferred to Augsburg. Eberhard struck coins at Augsburg and Nördlingen.

Eppstein-Konigstein Eberhard IV Batzen 1521 obv  222.jpg Eppstein-Konigstein Eberhard IV Batzen 1521 rev  223.jpg

DEA, Stork, Chris B and 6 others like this.
  15. panzerman

Hopefully, the modern mintmasters of German Mint are looking at your Ausgburg cioin, that is one beautifull design.:happy:

Bayern likes this.
  16. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@talerman Your coin is in remarkable condition since it
    was struck for everyday commerce. Wonder what its story is.

panzerman likes this.
  17. panzerman

AV Sultani AH 926= 1520 lf (83).jpg lf (84).jpg

rrdenarius, DEA, Bayern and 6 others like this.
  18. talerman

1520 Germany TEUTONIC ORDER Albrecht von Brandenburg 1/2 Taler (16 groschen) with c/m

This coin was struck in Königsberg when the city was besieged by the Poles. After an armistice in 1521, the coins issued during the siege were counterstamped with the 4 quarters arms of the Order (here on the breast of the Madonna on the obverse) to reduce their value by 1/3

Teutonic Order Albrecht v Brand Halbtaler 1520 with cm obv 022.jpg Teutonic Order Albrecht v Brand Halbtaler 1520 with cm rev 025.jpg

DEA, Stork, coin_nut and 6 others like this.
  19. talerman

1519 Germany PFALZ-NEUBURG Ottoheinrich & Philipp 1/2 Batzen

Pfalz-Neuburg Ottoheinrich & Philipp Half Batzen  1519 obv 240.jpg
    Pfalz-Neuburg Ottoheinrich & Philipp Half Batzen  1519 rev 241.jpg

DEA, Stork, Siberian Man and 5 others like this.
  20. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1519 Hungary 1 denar 1519 HU 1 d obv.JPG 1519 HU 1 d rev.JPG

21. talerman

1518 AUSTRIA Carinthia Emperor Maximilian I Batzen St. Veit mint

Austria Carinthia Batzen  1518 obv 242.jpg Austria Carinthia Batzen  1518 rev 244.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted