[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

If, i had to make a list of the most beautifull coinage in history/ Regensburg would place in top ten/ along with Basel/ Nurnberg/ Salzburg/ Transylvania/ Hungary/ Bohemia/ Zurich/ Holy Roman Empire/ Danzig.....
    I have a ND AV Regensburg Dukat (1770) 7e3054cdae42b5492bd9ef69ad38b093.jpg ca88fcffa72454768e7b5468ea576d72.jpg

Bayern, jj00, tibor and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

Anyone have a 1525?

4. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Unfortunately, I’m out unless something happens to be added to my collection.

6. panzerman

I have 1520 Sulieman I AV Sultani

7. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Here are three for 1525

Germany MECKLENBURG Albrecht VII The Handsome (1503-47) 2 Schilling 1525 with Mecklenburg bull's head countermark (1526)

There is an interesting story behind this countermark. On 20 June 1523 Albrecht VII made an agreement, confirmed on 21 Jan.1524, with Stendhal mm Martin Fuege to produce 4000 Fl. of silver coins per month. Fuege did not fulfill the contract and around 1526 went to the Mecklenburg mint in Wittenberg and struck underweight false 2 Schilling,Dreiling and 1/4 Gulden. Forced to honour these coins, on 13 Dec. 1526 Albrecht decreed that good 2 Schillings should be countermarked with a bull's head and all others should be forbidden. The Gustrow mintmaster, Moritz Schacht, was implicated in the affair and forced to pay Fl. 32,000 for the costs of redeeming the false coins,

Mecklenburg Albrecht VII 2 Schilling 1525 with cm obv 028.jpg Mecklenburg Albrecht VII 2 Schilling 1525 with cm rev 031.jpg

Germany SCHWARZBURG Heinrich XXXI (1493-1526) Guldengroschen 1525 with St. Martin handing down part of his cloak to the beggar on the reverse

Schwarzburg Heinrich XXXI Guldengroschen 1525 obv 229.jpg Schwarzburg Heinrich XXXI Guldengroschen 1525 rev 230.jpg

8. talerman

And lastly one for @tibor

HUNGARY Lajos (Ludwig) II (1516-26) 1 1/4 Taler 1525

Hungary Lajos II 1 & qtr Taler 1525 obv 463.jpg Hungary Lajos II 1 & qtr Taler 1525 rev 464.jpg

wcg, Bayern, Chris B and 4 others like this.
  9. panzerman

Beautifull Lajos II 1 1/4 Taler:happy: Talerman. Poor guy would end up dead on the Battlefield at Mohacs a year later.

10. panzerman

11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@talerman That is truly a wonderful piece. I have never
    seen any multiple talers from Hungary. Any idea who the
    mintmaster was? I can't find it in Huszar. Thanks for
    posting it!!

Bayern and panzerman like this.
  12. talerman

Multiple Talers of Hungary are indeed rare. This coin is not in Huszar but it is in Davenport Large Size Silver Coins of the World, Dav.-LS 557, and in Corpus Nummorum Hungariae, CNH 302, where it is described as a pattern. Davenport lists a 1 1/4 Taler of c. 38 g (my coin is 38.1 g and 53 mm) and a 1 1/2 Taler of c. 44g, but says there is considerable latitude in the weights. CNH gives weights of 35.1, 39.6, 45.51 and 65.32 g. CNH also lists 2 other silver patterns. The first (CNH 303) has a laureled bust of the king on the obverse and an array of shields like my coin on the reverse. Apparently, there are varieties with weights of 33.6 g, 45.93 g and 51.4 g. The second (CNH 304) has a crowned bust on the obverse and one shield with multi-field arms on the reverse and is known with weights of 15.10 g and 53.4 g. Apparently all these coins are in the collection of the Hungarian National Museum.

The inner legend around the horse on the obverse of my coin reads *KREMNICZ*BERNHART*BECHEM*. Austrian die cutter Bernhardt Bechem was Chief Master of the Mints in Austria and Tyrol after the death of his father in 1511. I don't know when and for how long he was active in Kremnitz. He died in 1547.

wcg and Bayern like this.
  13. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@talerman Thank you so much for the extensive write-up. I happen to
    have the Davenport book, 3rd ed. I just never noticed or do not remember
    the coin. I bought the book because I would like to collect multiple thalers.
    I will have to buy a copy of the CNH. I didn't know of its availability. Your
    library must have several hundred volumes. Thank you again for all of the
    hard work and for sharing the information. Tibor

14. talerman

It's a pleasure. Thank you for your interest. Just a partial return for all the interesting coins you have posted, especially the dated 15th century ones.

15. talerman

Germany BRANDENBURG Joachim I alone (1513-35) 1/4 Taler 1524 ( I know the 4 looks more like an 8 but apparently that's the way they wrote a 4 sometimes in that period, a kind of loop)

Brandenburg Joachim I alone Qtr Taler 1524 obv 483.jpg Brandenburg Joachim I alone Qtr Taler Stendal 1524 rev 487.jpg

Bayern, Siberian Man, tibor and 4 others like this.
  16. panzerman

Nice coin! as usual:) Talerman

17. Oxford Punter

Oxford Punter Active Member

If I stamp a USA zinc cent with "1523" can I get back in? I've only been out for two hundred years or so... :p

Bayern likes this.
  18. panzerman

I am back in with 1520, hopefully someone has a 23/22/21:(

Bayern likes this.
  19. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I am still sitting here with my little 1519...hopefully I will remember to post it at the right time.

Bayern likes this.
  20. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

I have 1522 ready to go. ~Although may also have a 1523, not sure- will check to see :cat:

21. talerman

I am sitting in Frankfurt Airport waiting for flight back to the United States. Will post a 1523 when I get home.

GORGEOUS weather in Europe this week. Global warming or just an early spring ?

Draft saved Draft deleted