[Game] World Coins Time Machine… Counting Backward by Year! (Plus Prize Coin)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Curtisimo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Outstanding coins!!!!!!
    Historical info is most enlightening:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

DEA and Noah Finney like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Thanks, @PaddyB, for filling the gap !

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. talerman

Sorry, I clicked Reply too soon. Your coin, PaddyB, is a Livonian Order Schilling struck, as you say, in Riga, by Walther von Plettenberg, Master 1494-1535. The partly worn legend on your reverse (which some consider the obverse since it has the name of the issuing Master) reads WOLT DE PLETT ENB MAG LIV. On the other side is MONE NOVA RIGENSIS. The references are Davenport East Baltic 29, Hutten-Czapski 4323 and Fedorov 465.

5. talerman

1530 Germany ISNY Batzen

Isny Batzen 1530 obv 126.jpg Isny Batzen 1530 rev 128.jpg

1530 HUNGARY Another Ferdinand I Denar struck at Gvozdansko by Count Nikolaus Zrinyi under his concession to mint royal denars. This one has the mintmark N S (= Nikolaus Serin, German form of Zrinyi)

Hungary Zrinyi Denar 1530 NS H 955v obv 105.jpg Hungary Zrinyi Denar 1530 NS H 955v rev 106.jpg

Bayern, Seattlite86, jj00 and 5 others like this.
  6. panzerman

Great coins ! PaddyB and Talerman:happy:

I have a 1529...
    AV Dukat klippe 1529 Vienna Mint
    Ferdinand I
    1529 was a bad year for Ferdinand I of Habsburg. After interfering in the affairs of Hungary, Sulieman finally had enough and sent his Ottoman army to take Vienna. However, the bad Winter weather, plus extended supply lines hampered the Turkish forces. Vienna held, but suffered huge losses, the Turks lost 15K dead/ wounded/ captured. 7647dc86db6a38eddb549ea17e4b994d.jpg

Obone, Bayern, Seattlite86 and 6 others like this.
  7. talerman

Here are 2 more from 1529

POLAND Sigismund I The Old Crown issues for Prussian territories struck in Thorn
    Schilling 1529
    Incidentally, this is one of the relatively few encapsulated coins in my collection. Someone sent it in to NGC, who graded it AU-53, whatever that may mean for a 16th century hammered coin. For me it is VF +.

Poland  Crown issue for Prussia Sigismund I Groschen 1529 obv 250.jpg
    Poland  Crown issue for Prussia Sigismund I Groschen 1529 rev 254.jpg

SPAIN Perpinyà (Perpignan) Carlos I (1516-56 - also Emperor as Charles V)
    Sou (Sueldo) 1529 (date above obverse arms - very difficult to see without a strong magnifying glass). Reverse with St. John the Baptist holding a lamb

Spain Perpignan Carlos I Sou 1529 obv 178.jpg Spain Perpignan Carlos I Sou 1529 rev 179.jpg

Bayern, PaddyB, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  8. talerman

Two for 1528

Germany MECKLENBURG Albrecht VII Groschen 1528

Mecklenburg Albrecht VII Groschen 1528 obv  220.jpg Mecklenburg Albrecht VII Groschen 1528 rev 222.jpg
    1528 HUNGARY Yet another Ferdinand I Denar struck at Gvozdansko by Count Nikolaus Zrinyi under his concession to mint royal denars. This one has the mintmark N G

Hungary Zrinyi Denar 1528 with NG obv 270.jpg Hungary Zrinyi Denar 1528 with NG rev 271.jpg

DEA, Bayern, Siberian Man and 3 others like this.
  9. panzerman

Nice coins as usual!
    I agree with you on TPG. They seem to do an OK job with "milled coins", however their "Hammered" grades are very liberal. Kunker reflects this in their grades, a NGC graded MS-65 Charles V Pied d'or was only Vorz/EF in Kunker auction....so from MS-GEM65 t0 EF!!!!! IF a coin is MS it should absolutely show NO wear from circulation/ handling. Maybe the MS60-69 should AU60-69????

Bayern, tibor and Chris B like this.
  10. talerman

1528 HUNGARY/TRANSYLVANIA Johann von Zapolya Another Denar, this one with the mintmark IV. I have not been able to find out what mint or mintmaster IV represents. Would welcome anyone's suggestions.

Hungary Janos Zapolya Denar 1528 IV obv 271.jpg Hungary Janos Zapolya Denar 1528 IV rev 277.jpg

1527 HUNGARY/TRANSYLVANIA Johann von Zapolya Yet another denar, this one with the mintmark KT (= Kremnitz, Jacobus Tornallyai or Alexius Thurzo, mintmaster)

Hungary Janos Zapolya Denar 1527 KT obv  454.jpg Hungary Janos Zapolya Denar 1527 KT rev  455.jpg

DEA, Bayern, Chris B and 2 others like this.
  11. panzerman

nice coins!
    The symbol I-V was one of the many different Mint marks used to describe Karlsburg/ also known as Weissenberg/ Ailia Julia....
    John

DEA and Bayern like this.
  12. talerman

Panzerman, thank you for this information. I had searched everywhere for an explanation of IV without success. If I may be allowed to go back 2 years for a moment, perhaps you can also help with this denar I just acquired.

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY Ferdinand I HUNGARY (Habsburg part) Denar 1529 with BH mm on rev.

What is BH ?

Hungary Ferd I Denar 1529 BH obv 283.jpg Hungary Ferd I Denar 1529 BH rev 286.jpg

DEA, Bayern, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  13. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@talerman If I may, I can shed some light on your Denar. In the
    Huszar catalogue it is listed with the Ref.# 937. It listed as an R7.
    For a Denar that would be in the middle of rarity ratings, with the
    KB being R1/R2, the KH, KG and KA, R3- R8. Other Denars from this
    time period with other mintmarks and mint master letters span a
    wide range R3-R10. I can't give rarity pops because I could not find
    them in the book. Getting back to your coin, the "B" might stand for
    Buda, the city on the western side of the Danube. The "H" probably
    is short for Hans, the German name for John. The rarity ratings should
    not be taken as the Gospel truth. Dozens of hoards of Denars from
    this time period have come to light since the Huszar wrote his book.

Bayern and panzerman like this.
  14. tibor

@talerman Your 1528 Denar with the I V is listed in Huszar with
    the Ref.#881. It is an R4 on the rarity scale.

panzerman likes this.
  15. panzerman

Yes, my name is Hans/ originally Johann. When we emigrated to Canada, my Dad just referred to me as "John".
    Buda would make sense for mint. I have several goldgulden from Sigismund of Luxemboug, Matthias Corvinus with Buda mint mark.

Bayern likes this.
  16. talerman

Thank you, @tibor. I have the Huszar book but, as you know, he only gives limited information on mintmarks. I liked your suggestions for BH and started searching for a Buda mintmaster of this period called Hans or Johannes. The marvels of the internet ! I found a paper by GYÖNGYÖSSY MÁRTON in a Hungarian publication called BUDAPEST RÉGISÉGEI XLIX. 2016 on the internet with fortunately a German summary I could understand. Here is my translation in case you are interested:

THE LAST YEARS OF MEDIEVAL COINING IN OFEN (apparently the German name for BUDA)

The coinage stopped in Ofen for some years after the battle of Mohács. However, in 1529 the Hungarian Chamber concluded a contract with Hans Haller in which he was empowered to strike coins at Ofen in the name of Ferdinand I (1526-1564).
    The mint was only in operation for a few months, striking denars with the mintmark
    B-H (Buda-Haller). Haller fled before the troops of King Johann von Zapolya (János Szapolyai in Hungarian, 1526-1540) with his mint to Pressburg, where he continued his activities. He first struck denars with the mintmark B-H, later with P-H
    (Pressburg-Haller). Zapolya, however, founded a new mint in Ofen which first struck silver denars with the mintmark A-B , later without a mintmark but decorated with the arms of the Gritti family. In those years the Treasurer Lodovico
    Gritti was also responsible for the coinage. His local coins are the last medieval Hungarian money minted in Ofen.

I apologise for breaking the theme of this thread but I thought this little discovery might be of interest to collectors of coinage of this period.

DEA, Bayern and tibor like this.
  17. tibor

@talerman WOW!!! That write up and all of the research you must
    have done is AMAZING!!! I'm ashamed to say that my reason for knowing
    what little that I do know about Denars from this time period is self serving.
    My grand mother on my fathers side of the family was a Thurzo before
    she married. The family thought that they were related to the Medieval
    mint masters. After some research I found out that two branches of the
    Thurzo family died out in the mid 1500's. The third branch in the very early
    1600's. No possible connection. In the Huszar reference there are dozens
    of mintmarks from this time period. I wish I could read German well enough
    to do the type of research that you do. Am I correct that pop. numbers
    are not described in his book. I am surprised that this thread is moving so
    slowly. Between the Hungarian Denars and the Polish Groschen I thought
    that we would be pretty close to 1510 by now. Oh well. I have many of
    the dates to get to 1503 but my photo skills are non existent. When
    we get to 1499 is it one year per day? Thanks again for all of the
    research!

18. talerman

Thank you, @tibor, but you set me on the right track with your suggestion that the B in BH had to be Buda. I should have thought of that (as I failed to spot that IV was obviously Alba Julia or IVlia until @panzerman pointed it out).

I also have poor photo skills but I have a good scanner which makes taking pictures fairly easy. The best photos are better but the scans for these kinds of coins (when you are not arguing about MS 62 or 63 etc.) are more than adequate.

DEA and panzerman like this.
  19. talerman

Since @tibor is getting impatient, here are 2 small coins for 1526

Germany City of REGENSBURG Pfennig 1526

Regensburg  City Pfennig 1526 obv 223.jpg Regensburg  City Pfennig 1526 rev 227.jpg

and yet another denar from HUNGARY
    This one is in the name of King Lajos (Ludwig) II, the last independent king of Hungary killed fighting the Ottomans at the battle of Mohács in 1526. The mintmark is KB (= Körmöcbánya or, in German, Kremnitz,)

Hungary Lajos II Denar 1526 KB obv 451.jpg Hungary Lajos II Denar 1526 KB rev  452.jpg

Attached Files:

DEA, Bayern, panzerman and 1 other person like this.
  20. panzerman

Regensburg coin is lovely!

Here is my 1526....
    AV Goldgulden 1526 Kremnitz Mint
    Lajos II
    This coin was struck at the time when Sulieman's Ottoman forces annihilated the Hungarian allied armies at Mohacs in that year. The Ottoman Sultan, made one big mistake, he should have kept going on and taken Vienna. The second mistake was to not let his eldest son succeed him in 1566. Selim II was a inept ruler. But for us coin collectors, probably best the Holy Roman Empire held out in 1529:). They had the best designers, engravers, mint masters, end result magnificent coins like the Regensburg coin Talerman just posted.:happy: 1728499l.jpg

DEA, Bayern, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  21. talerman

Panzerman, thank you but you grossly exaggerate. I guess my Regensburg coin is well designed for a pfennig but it is a miserable little coin compared to your Goldgulden.

DEA and panzerman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted